The big week

Kerem's first week as the new CEO came and went with quite a bang. Muhsin Baba's illness, the partnership with the Americans had all come a bit too unexpectedly. Ayse did not realise how stressed he was and felt ashamed of her petty put downs and jealousy of Sirma, the auditor from the American company who had agreed to collaborate with them. She could not understand why she felt jealous. Wasn't she planning to move on and claimed no attachment to Kerem. She reassured herself she was only trying to protect herself from other's gossip and protect Kerem, who she was convinced could not and would not be able to handle himself before a pretty woman.  

When Kerem held Ayse's hands in the office and said earnestly, "You don't know what I'm going through", she felt so terrible. She had been lost in her own bubble. She hadn't seen things from his perspective. So at the office the next day she appealed to him patiently, helping him see the issues differently, while being respectful of his stress and pressures. She spoke about the people losing their jobs because of the demands from the American collaborators. She asked him to stand up for his Modamu family. She felt so elated when he managed to do that in the face of his pressures and won the respect of his collaborators who obviously were testing how far they could push him.

Till Jayda stepped in as the new manager from the collaborators. She hated it. But she knew her time had come to leave. And Kerem had always said he needed Jayda as she was efficient in her work. They could work it out.

That night as she got ready to sleep Ayse started packing her stuff. She would not take anything more than what she brought, she decided. Kerem was working late again. She stumbled into Jayda in the kitchen when she went to get a drink. Jayda threatened her saying their game will be exposed soon. Ayse didn't bother responding and walked out leaving Jayda fuming. Ayse settled in her room and scanned the internet. 

The department of economics and business administration of Hacettepe University was in Beytepe campus about 14 km from the city centre. She read with increasing excitement about the on campus accomodation , facilities and food. She would need 300-400 turkish lira a month to survive - she could do that. She imagined the opportunities this move would afford. She wished she had learnt how to drive but she reassured herself she would do it in Ankara. She didn't need the maths teacher anymore as Hacettepe University was willing to accept her previous entrance results, as she had done so well. Her confidence soared when she thought about it. And she had managed to stay out of love. Or did she. She wistfully looked through her pictures on her phone. Although there were so many pics on social media of Kerem and her from their ad campaign they had so few of their own personal ones. Her heart twisted in knots. Why did she feel so lost every time she thought of him. She knew she wanted to create a family with him. She could almost decide on the names for the kids. If she had a thousand hearts all of them would be his for the asking. But he never asked. Instead he kept blaming her for falling for him-as though he was some Greek god everyone died for. She had her pride. She will have to go through with this. She was not the old Ayse anymore. She would live , she would thrive not just survive. She would stand on her own feet. The bus trip to Ankara was going to be long but would cost her lesser than the high speed train. She had to be prudent with her money if she needed it to go a long way.

It was when she was lost in these thots and plans that Muhsin baba walked to her door. Strangely he looked a bit off. She could see that he looked pale and withdrawn. Her heart thumped as she wondered if he knew from Jeyda, or if he had remembered. He called out to Ayse and confided in her how he suddenly felt very cooped up at home. He sought her support in planning an outing. " I will speak to Kerem and Ryza and we can organize a picnic again Baba", she suggested. Muhsin baba suddenly had this bright idea. "How about camping", he said. "You need to help me convince Yelda and Kerem". She wasn't so sure but looking at his childlike enthusiasm she demurred. He was sooo like Kerem she thot- he always loved to have his way. And he knew how to get it.