AMMG ~29~

The thundering voice of the Duke of Trent woke the household immediately as the sound echoed across all of the marble floors.

Henry grabbed a sleeping garment as he rushed out, along with half the servants, the Earl and Stephe- George.

"What is it man? Gads, I thought someone was being killed!"

The Duke looked excitedly with a paper in his hands which were trembling.

"It's a missive! From her!" His voice went slightly higher pitched giving away his excitement.

Henry froze. "From her? Lady Rosalie?"

"Yes man! I could recognise her handwriting from all those awful handwriting classes I made her take."

Everyone gathered around him, servants and Lords alike, united with joy.

The Earl got down to business first waving the servants away. "Gads man, are you actually going to open it?"

His hands shook as he opened it, his eyes narrowing and widening at alternate points. "Wilborough. When I get my hands on that filthy scoundrel I'll kill him!"

Henry bored with the theatrics snatched the letter out of the older man's hands and skimmed the small note. "She's safe," he read out, "she's travelling to Dumries, a city in Scotland fairly close to the border. Wilborough kidnapped her, and there's another two men. They're still after her apparently, but she managed to escape and find refuge with a family."

He scowled. "Unfortunately, one can not make sense of this. First he threatened her with marriage, unto which he would have gained her dowry. Correct?"

He raised an arrogant eyebrow at the Duke.

Trent scowled, "Yes, if he'd married her I would have had to have given it up."

Henry carried on, "although apparently this plan changed to a, quote, 'politically sensitive situation' and the economic change in Scotland."

"Yes man! Is there anything else?" The Earl attempted to peer over his shoulder.

"Just that we had to warn out for the treasonous letters which has already been accomplished."

Trent look confused. "Well what do we do?"

Henry, sensing a lack of leadership stood up taller. "Firstly, you and I will go to Scotland to retrieve the Lady."

Glancing behind him at 'George', "You and the good Earl here will govern finding the man. Perhaps if we can find him we can lock him away in Bedlam and keep everyone safe, even the Scots. The last thing our economy wants is unrest. The situation is too shocking as it is, the poor cannot even survive."

"Though I expect that he's at least near the Scottish border, correct?" George spoke up.

Even his voice now sounded different.

"Yes, I agree. Maybe it's best if you do come with us then, I'm sure Rochester is just as capable without you searching here."

The Earl nodded his agreement.

"Right then men, I propose we leave by nightfall."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Settled into their carriage, Henry began to question the Duke.
"Who delivered it to you?"

"It was a Scottish lad upon a horse, no one of any importance."

Henry settled back into his chair. his mind was whirring; where he could assume the Spencean philanthropists where behind, but for what purpose he couldn't be certain. To make a point for sure, but why would they bother with Rosalie?
She'd come after him, foolish chit in her condition, but that wasn't planned. No one could have known that she was to go out.

His eyes widened.
That was it, it wasn't a deliberate action, it was unplanned.
But to what extent?

-----------

Rosalie shuddered as she entered the inn. The finest inn in Dumries indeed. More like the worst. Never the less, this was the one that shed instructed her father to, and in light of her experiences, was probably not the worst thing she'd encountered since that fateful day. Her cane was rubbing hands though, the crude fashioning of it causing painful blisters.
She rung the bell, and a large, bustling woman walked out.
"Hello Dearie! How can we help you today?"
Rosalie was uncomfortably aware of the hollow in the dress where her leg should have been, as sweat and dirty water had made the heavy skirts cling further to her body. The woman eyed her considerably, slowing on it, face full of pity.

"You look like a lady of quality, though dirty. I shall get you a temporary ladies maid, our largest room and a nice, hot bath."

Rosalie sighed with happiness, "oh that would be wonderful."

"Come this way my lady, here Jim can be a help up the stairs."

She gestured to a shy, gentle looking giant.

"Come Jim, take her bags as well."

He gently took he arm and she leaned on him for support as she slowly went up the stairs and entered a small, yet airy bedroom, fashioned in blue. A young lady was already filling a tub, steaming.

The lady from the desk pointed at her as the man, Jim, put her bags down and left, shutting the door quietly. "This is Laura. She will be your temporary ladies maid."

The girl smiled, sweet dimples marring the chubby face and lightening the tanned face.

She curtsied. "My lady, I can help you undress-"

Rosalie smiled at her. "That's not necessary but thank you. Could you please see if there's any spare clothes? These are ripped and beyond repair I'm afraid."

"Of course my lady. I shall be back soon. Enjoy your bath."

Rosalie waited for the door to close and slipped off her clothes, maneuvering carefully and gently into the tub.

Laying her head back she sighed. it was only a matter of time before she could go home.