[ CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX ]

Start from the beginning

He harshly cut her off, pulling her to his side, watching as her grip on Katerina dropped, leaving the brunette standing alone. 

"Come, my love. I need to speak with you of important matters, matters that cannot be discussed in front of such... Company." Klaus turned his nose up at Katerina, surprising the two women.

His harsh behaviour had come out of nowhere, he had been nothing but kind to Katerina before. "Nik-" Astrid frowned, but was swiftly cut off by her husband.

"I believe my brother is looking for your company, Katerina. Better hurry." With that Klaus pulled Astrid away forcefully, marching towards the castle as Astrid turned back to glance at Katerina.

Sending her an apologetic glance, Astrid assumed her husband was simply in a rotten mood, she  would tell Katerina not to take his behaviour personally when she next saw the brunette.

Turning back to Niklaus, Astrid scowled. "What the hell was that about? She's my friend, Nik, you don't get to talk to her like that!"

Niklaus let out a chuckle, an arrogant smirk on his lips as he shook his head, appearing amused.

Narrowing her eyes at this, Astrid frowned. "What's so funny?" She prodded.

"Don't get too attached my love, I would hate to see you hurt." He replied simply as Astrid furrowed her brows together. What the hell did that mean?

...

Stomping into the living room, a scowl was spread cross her pouted lips as Rebekah dramatically flopped down on the sofa. She was sick and tired of Petrova's, first Tatia and now Katerina, 'they were bloody evolving to be more annoying and infuriating' Rebekah remarked to herself. 

As her thoughts wandered hatefully to the doppelgänger, her attention immediately landed on Kol who was slumped over on the armchair. Several empty bottles and caskets of whiskey were sprawled around him and across the living room.

The scent of alcohol was overwhelming and revolting, Kol smelt as if he had bathed in alcohol himself. Just as she was about to make a snide comment, Kol glanced up, allowing her to catch sight of his rather sore eyes.

Had Kol been... Crying? Kol Mikaelson, her psychopathic, murdering, puppy-hating brother had been crying.

Was she dreaming? Had she been bitten by a werewolf and was currently hallucinating? Rebekah wasn't sure. 

"What?" Kol slurred as Rebekah frowned.

How much had he drunk? Pausing, Rebekah was unsure of how to deal with the situation as her stubborn pout dropped. 

"Kol, what's wrong?"

Her brother lurched forward, grabbing a new bottle of whiskey from the bar before slumping back, letting out a bitter laugh. 

Pulling the cap of with ease, Kol downed the entire bottle, chugging as it dripped down his chin and onto his chest.

Contrasted between feeling disgusted and sympathetic for the brother, Rebekah frowned when he threw the bottle aside. The glass bottle collided with the wall, shattering as hundreds of small shards of glass splattered onto the floor.

"Oh Bekah, what is right?!" He moaned, making Rebekah frown.

Seeing Kol in such a state, not teasing her or someone, was unnerving, never mind him showing actual emotion that wasn't amusement or annoyance.

Shifting uncertainly, Rebekah glanced towards the door. "Do you want me to get Astrid?" She asked.

It was no secret Kol cared deeply for Astrid, it seemed she was the only one who could get through to Kol when he saw red.