A Dramatic Entrance

Start from the beginning

"No," something responded.

"Are you sure? That seems unlikely," Issabeth responded, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"One hundred percent sure," came an invisible response.

"Rosaliy is unbalanced," said Athena to Drake like nothing out of the ordinary was happening. "What kind of magic has she been exposed to?"

"I don't know," he stammered. Should he know? So much had happened all at once. "Is she hurt?"

"Old Coaster healing potion," Jadelynn answered, because she had arrived. How had that girl gotten to the Glade?

"Drake!" exclaimed Cliff clapping Drake on the back and confusing him completely. What was Cliff doing here? Drake had no room in his head for any of these things.

"Healing potion?" Athena repeated.

Drake dug the jar out of his pocket and thrust it at her. The Sorceress rolled the jar over in her hand. "Rose would have known better than to use any conflicting spells while this was doing its work," Athena said dubiously, "but I'll examine her back in the palace." She looked up and waved in the direction of the Flifary who were starting to venture off the sand, poking their toes in the grass and shivering in the chill of the Naxturaen Glade. "Once someone can tell me what's going on. Who is to blame for all this?"

"Blame is a complex concept, old friend," said Arlana softly, drawing toward them, "but if the amulets in the young Sorceress's hand will send someone to the Naxturaen Pit for safekeeping, I recommend those two."

Arlana stretched her bracelet-laden arm back toward the island. Iketa and Dalor were visible in the glow of a torch, Iketa still pinned by a jaguar and Dalor cowed by Daniella's icy stare.

"You found her," murmured Athena. "The children?"

That question was for Drake. "Probably safe," was the best he could offer as an answer. Had anyone explained to him why Rosaliy was not waking up?

Athena shook her head, unsatisfied. "Jadelynn," she ordered. "Go with the Seer."

"Did somebody warn them about the spider creature epidemic in the caves down there?" asked Issabeth, out of breath when she popped back into view.

Jadelynn was already out of earshot, and nobody felt like running her down.

Zaphia was wrapping up her rousing speech in the background. People were clamoring to ask questions now.

Cliff nearly jumped out of his skin as a tiny, claw-bearing weight scrambled its way up his back. He produced a chestnut from his side pocket for Quita. "What happened to Rose?" he asked.

Drake wished he could answer that question. Athena was patting her throat in a way that seemed investigatory.

"How did you get here?" Drake asked instead of attempting an answer. He was very quickly made sorry he had asked as Cliff detailed his journey and the discovery of the sleeping palace. Since Rosaliy still wasn't waking up, Drake heard about half of what Cliff was saying.

"Arlana," Athena asked as soon as the Seer had returned with Jadelynn and Daniella, "why is your island in the middle of the Glade?"

"That's my fault," Issabeth admitted.

"It's Dalor's fault," Daniella amended.

A baffled Arlana shook her head in amazement. "I can hardly believe he attempted to use his weapon."

"Desperate times," muttered Daniella, "make small people resort to drastic measures."

"Where are the children?" Athena asked Daniella directly.