Untitled Part 5

then I get so numb with all the laughter,

That I forget about the pain.

-Back To You, Louis Tomlinson and Bebe Rexha

~*~

A gust of wind forced a few leaves to rustle against my ear, making me jump up in fear. I looked around cautiously, hoping

"Dang, it's late," I whispered to myself, checking my watch.

11:00.

Mystery Boy had not yet made an appearance, and I was left standing next to a small tree by the corner of the road, hoping that no one would spot me. I'd been sitting there for almost an hour, having come there early due to curiosity.

Feeling my eyes droop, I let myself lean against the tree and sit down. I closed my eyes, planning to rest for a while.

Fatigue taking over, I fell asleep by the corner of the road.

The sound of a passing vehicle was what woke me up.

As I opened my eyes slowly, I shivered and wrapped my arms around my body. Goosebumps were growing on my arms due to the intensity to of the cold.

Too woozy to think for a while, I lay down with my eyes open and stared at the stars.

And then I remembered.

Jumping up to my feet, I glanced at my watch again.

12:00

My breath caught in my throat as I tried to inhale. This was it. It was Answer Time.

I needed to know who Mystery Boy was. Not because I danced with him but because, and solely because, he ran away. I needed to know why he ran away. Was there something about me that was so unbearable, so . . . undesirable?

My heart rate was increasing as the time passed by. Every minute was harder than the rest.

As I felt a sharp sear of pain in my palm, I pulled it back from the bark I'd been resting it on. I realized that I'd been pressing my hand on the tree in my nervousness.

I sat down again and picked up a leaf, twiddling it impatiently. This went on for a while because then, I was getting extremely impatient.

The minutes went by and soon, a whole half hour had passed. There was no sign of Mystery Boy.

At a quarter to one, I decided that I'd waited enough. He wasn't going to come and that was that. The thought made me sigh with heavy disappointment and squeeze Mystery Boy's iPhone tighter with frustration.

My heart sunk slightly as I walked silently to the next street. My instincts had told me to go there and my mind and heart had told me he'd be there.

That was why I'd learned never to trust my natural instinct.

I slowly opened the front gate and tiptoed to the bottom of the stairs, careful not to make a sound. If my mom had found out that I'd sneaked out late at night, I would be dead meat.

I gasped and held my breath every time the stairs freaked but I managed to reach my room without any terrifying consequences.

The second I opened my bedroom's door, I crashed down on my bed, not bothering to change.

For once, I was too tired to think.

• • • • •

"A letter?" Lizzie's eyes bulged out of her head, her mouth wide open. "You got two freaking letters and you didn't find the heart to tell me?"