#1: The Key To Freedom

Present day, Istanbul.

They were by the Bosphorus at their favourite breakfast spot. Eylül was smiling down at the engagement ring he just gave her — a diamond solitaire embedded in a sleek platinum band. Looking across from his seat, he knew she was the one.

"Do you like it?"

She nodded. Her smile sparkled — like the sun shining on the calm waves of the great river. Getting up from her seat, she paced over to him. "I have a surprise for you too," she said. Demir could feel her soft hands covering his eyes. "Ne yapiyorsun, Eylül?"

He could hear her giggle behind him. "Kalk," she whispered in his ear. "Stand up."

Obeying her words, Demir stood from his chair. Leading him towards the edge of the water, Demir could feel her hands clamping tighter around his head. Her grip quickly became too uncomfortable — but before he could pry her hands off, Demir felt a sudden force pushing him from the back. He screamed as he felt himself falling into the water. He tried to swim but then realised his hands were tied behind his back. The pressure on his eyes became painfully unbearable as he sunk deeper and deeper into the dark waters.

"Demir..."

He heard her calling him from afar. "Eylül!" He screamed, but he couldn't make a sound.

"Demir..."

He tried screaming again. But it was no use.

"Demir Bey..."

He felt himself spiralling into the abyss. There is no hope left for him. He felt something brushing against his shoulder, but it doesn't matter anymore.

"Demir Bey? Demir Bey?" The voice became clearer now.

All of a sudden, the pressure on his eyes was gone. Gasping, he found himself in a tiny seat by the window of an aeroplane. Gathering his bearings, he noticed an air stewardess standing by the isle with a glass of water in her hands.

"Iyi misiniz, Demir Bey?" she said, handing him the glass. "Here, some water for you."

Nodding weakly, Demir downed the glass of water. He had taken some sleeping pills when he boarded the flight in Narita Airport, but he didn't expect them to be so effective. Noticing he was the only one left in the cabin, Demir apologised to the air stewardess, thanked her and made his way out.

Sometime later, Demir Erendil found himself standing in the living room of his apartment. It looked the same as it was when he left exactly two years ago — except for the newly painted walls. His realtor Firuze Hanım — a jovial, plump lady in her 50s with ridiculous blonde curls, had taken great care of the apartment and seemed to have honoured his request to keep it untouched and uninhabited. Although he knew Firuze Hanım can be a little overbearing sometimes, Demir remained courteous and allowed her to check in on him every now and then. Leaving his suitcase aside, he reached for a set of keys nestled deep in his backpack. He had carried them with him wherever he went. It was a normal set of house keys, except that they were not the keys to his apartment. A handmade keychain dangled on one end — it was a bracelet made of woven fabric with his name awkwardly stitched on it. It was given to him as a birthday present — a memoir to some of his happiest moments in life, although he had lost contact with the person who gave him it. 

After a refreshing shower, Demir drove towards Zekeriyaköy — a quiet residential area located on the European side of Istanbul and adjacent to the Belgrade Forest. Although he lived in Ataşehir ever since he was a child (a district on the Asian side), he had loved Zekeriyaköy more than anywhere else in the whole of Istanbul. Ever since his mother died, little Demir would follow his father Attila to visit a house in Zekeriyaköy — a double-storey house with an attic that has a glass skylight and a huge garden in its backyard. Although he never really understood the significance of the house, he always notices the tears in his father's eyes whenever they are there. His father would say "Demir, remember to always keep this house — and maybe one day you'll have a family here too". As Demir grew older, he learned about the reason behind his father's tears. 

Attila Erendil bought the house to start a family after he marries Aslı, a schoolteacher. They even decorated and furnished the house with all sorts of artwork, plants and colours. However, things never turned out the way he wanted. Attila was a busy man and barely had time for Aslı and his young son. He would be called on unexpected cases and they wouldn't know when he will return home. Their plan of moving into the house was never fulfiled. When Aslı was diagnosed with terminal cancer, Attila was away for a long business trip. Knowing she wouldn't be able to see Attila by the time he returns, Aslı moved to Sinop — her hometown. Heartbroken, she had entrusted her son to Ekrem Altinkaya, Attila's closest friend, for him to look after the infant Demir until Attila returns.

Pulling his car over by the curb, Demir makes his way towards the house. It seems like it was well kept — the hedges are trimmed, the paint renewed, and the wooden entrance fixed. It's probably Firuze Hanım, he thought. Firuze Hanım has been pestering him to sell the house to her — so that she could market it for rental. Although she had no idea why Demir wouldn't give it up for rent to earn a side income, Firuze had kept herself from advertising the house. Sometimes, Demir would run into Firuze sneaking around the house just to try her luck with her offer — and Demir would reject it. Every single time.

Stepping into the backyard, Demir took a deep breath and closes his eyes. His favourite part of the house. The garden smelled of blossoming flowers — thanks to Firuze Hanım. He remembered lying on the grass with his best friend, sharing a box of candy, cracking jokes and gazing at the stars at night. Those were the best times, but life was never fair to him. He was forced to become a man after that mysterious night. The night when his father was gone forever.

Out of the blue, he heard footsteps behind him. Expecting it to be Firuze Hanım, Demir let out a heavy sigh. 

"Firuze Hanı-" he paused. Recognising the man standing before him, Demir smiled. "Ekrem Amca?"

Ekrem Altinkaya had to laugh. Clad in a casual shirt and khaki pants, the recently retired director of the Istanbul Police Force never looked better. "You rascal," he said. "You didn't even give me a call when you came back, but look where I've found you."

Demir smiled. "I was about to call you," he said. "We can have çay together."

"Olsun Demir," the older man said, eyeing his young accolade carefully. "Ama gerçek söyle. You didn't come back from Japan just to have çay with me."

Demir smiled and shook his head. His mentor never fails to see right through his thoughts. "Evet," he said. "I came back to prove myself."

Altinkaya laughed. "I've known you long enough to see your worth, Demir."

"O zaman, I'll say it right away," Demir said. "I want my job back. And I've come to ask you for a favour." 

The older man sighed heavily. "Olmaz," he said with a frown. "You know that's impossible -"

"Not in that way," Demir said.

Altinkaya gave Demir a sceptical look. His eyes searched for the mischevious glimmer in Demir's eyes - but it's wasn't there. "In what way?"

A smirk crept slowly onto Demir's face. "Operation Cheetah."