Chapter 2

A young girl, at least nineteen, works on the engines on the ships in the hanger. Her hair is pulled back into three buns, her hazel eyes clearly visible. Her name is Rey. As Rey continues to work on the engines, her hands become sore from the work, but she doesn't mind. After General Leia and her husband, Han Solo had rescued her from her torturous life on Jakku, she feels that she owes them the world. Scavenging had been no life. It had always been just about survival before she joined the Resistance, who have now become like a family to her. The only one that she has ever known. Instead of always being alone, she now has friends. Finn, especially, is one of her dearest friends. He was a former stormtrooper who had been working for the First Order, before he escaped and renounced the order. If only she could be as brave. She wants her chance to prove that she is valuable to the Resistance. Her skills with machinery and engine work are impressive, to be sure. But it doesn't seem like enough. She wants to be a hero.

The Resistance is different than she expected. Despite the military rankings, it seems as if everyone is equal and everyone's ideas are important contributions. The Resistance has come so far since the days of the Rebellion. It is now structured and organized. They are far more prepared for anything that comes their way. Suddenly, Rey looks up as she hears General Leia's voice. The general always insists that Rey call her Leia, but she could never bring herself to address her as anything less than General.

"Are you still working on these engines, Rey?" General Leia asks, concern in her voice. Rey has already been working on the engines for several hours.
"Well, I have to get them up and running in case we need them. We can't always predict when the First Order will attack next." General Leia seemed sad when Rey mentioned the First Order. Everyone knew that they had caused a lot of pain throughout the galaxy, but that wasn't it. The General's sadness was from loneliness. Had the First Order killed someone she loved? Rey wanted to ask, but she couldn't. After all the kindness that the General and Han Solo had showed her, it wouldn't be fair to ask about something that hurt so much. She wasn't sure if Han Solo felt this same kind of loneliness. He only grew irritable and angry when the First Order was mentioned, as anyone else did.

"You deserve a break, Rey. Everyone does. I insist." General Leia smiled at Rey, knowing that if she insisted Rey would feel that it was an order.

"Very well." Rey relented and started to walk away from the broken engines.

"We are calling a meeting. I would like you to be in attendance. We'll need your help."
Rey stopped for a moment. They needed her? This would be just the chance she needed to prove her bravery. Rey smiled at the General and the two of them continued to walk towards the conference room. When they entered the room, Rey noticed Finn was already there. She went up to him and gave him a hug.

"It's good to see you, Rey. I see you've finally taken a break." Finn smiled, knowing that without the General saying so, Rey would still be working.

"Rey!" A voice called cheerfully. It was Rose Tico, Finn's girlfriend. For awhile, Rey had thought that it might be her and Finn together. But during the battle on Crait, and sometime before that, Rose and Finn had fallen in love. She was happy for them, though. Rose was her friend too. They often talked and shared what their lives had been like before the Resistance. Rose had grown up on a mining planet with her sister, Paige. Paige's life had been lost in an earlier battle this year, and it had been difficult for Rose to go on without her. The two of them were always together and never separated. Being with Finn had helped ease the pain, though. The two of them made a wonderful couple. Rey just wished that she had someone of her own. She knew Han and Leia cared about her, but she wanted something deeper than that. She wanted love. True love.

"Attention, everyone." C-3PO, a golden protocol droid, announced. "General Organa is ready to start the meeting."

Even though Leia and Han were married, she was always addressed as General Organa. But she had insisted that Rey just call her General Leia. C-3PO looked towards General Leia, who stepped forward to address everyone.

"There has been a recent report regarding the latest activities of the First Order. It would seem that they are planning an attack on us."

"How do they know where we are?" Finn asked, while Rose held his hand nervously.

"Apparently, the First Order can track through hyperspace now," Han Solo said irritably. "So much for it being impossible."

"If they attack us, there will be nothing left. The Resistance will not survive. We do not have enough resources left to survive, even with all the additional help we have received this year."
Now Rey understood why the General had asked her to take a break. The time had come to fight and defend the Resistance.

"There is only one thing left to do. It is time to negotiate with them."

"Leia, you can't." Han Solo interrupted, but Leia only looked at him, sorrow in her eyes.

"We have no choice. But we cannot negotiate with the Supreme Leader. We will approach Kylo Ren instead."

Everyone was still now. Kylo Ren, the monster of the First Order? How could anyone think of trying to negotiate with him? His idea of negotiation meant killing someone. With him, there was no negotiation, only suffering.

"I know this is not what anyone expected. This was never my plan, but it is our only hope of survival right now. I am sending Han Solo, Finn, and Rey on this mission. Please see me when this meeting is over. Good luck everyone." Leia remarked sadly as everyone started to leave. If they were truly negotiating with Kylo Ren, there was little hope for the survival of the Resistance.

Rey watched as Rose sweetly kissed Finn goodbye, with tears in her eyes. Most likely, she thought she was losing him forever. That probably wasn't far off. No one survived an encounter with Kylo Ren.
"Leia, please think about this. There must be another way. Kylo Ren would never listen. We know him too well."

Rey was surprised. How did Han and Leia know Kylo Ren and still be alive?

"Han, you know I wouldn't have you three do this if there was another way." Han nodded. Leia was stubborn, but she was right. She never risked anyone's lives on purpose.

"I am sending the three of you to negotiate with Kylo Ren to save the Resistance. I know that he has committed countless cruelties in the galaxy, but somewhere there is still a trace of good in him. Han and I know. He's our son."

Both Finn and Rey stared at Leia and Han. Kylo Ren was their son? How was that possible?

"He used to go by a different name. Ben. But he no longer uses it. That part of him is mostly gone, but I feel that there is still hope that he can come back to the light. I have had C-3PO input the coordinates of Starkiller Base into the Millennium Falcon. If you leave now, you all should be at the base by this evening. I have already received a message from Kylo Ren. He will send someone to escort you inside to have a discussion with him."

"He has agreed to negotiate?" Rey asked, hopeful, and surprised.

"No, so far he has only agreed to meet with the three of you. I must warn you all to be careful. We all know what pain he is capable of causing."

The three of them nodded solemnly. Han kissed Leia goodbye. Then, Leia embraced Rey.

"You are ready for this, Rey. You are strong in the Force, too. That could be useful in this endeavor."

"Will he attack?" Rey asked fearfully.

"I don't know. I knew Ben, but I don't know Kylo Ren."