What He Thought Wasn't Possible

Start from the beginning

All Harry could register was the striking red of the blood on Draco's lips and, suddenly, he found he wasn't quite so fond of his house colours.

"What's happening to you?" he asked, so soft that, had they not been standing a mere foot apart, Draco would not have heard him.

"None of your damn business", he muttered angrily, vanishing all the blood and standing up, walking to the door.

He was stopped, as you guessed, by Harry who stubbornly grabbed his wrist and forced him to stop. Draco wasn't having it. In a swift move, he grabbed Harry's wand from his other hand and ran out the door, locking it using all the spells he could think of, and there were a lot, let me tell you, and running away, not paying any mind to the questioning stares as he hurried out of the portrait hole. 

***

By the time Harry managed to open the door -it had been tricky to go through all those spells without his wand- Draco was long gone. But he knew exactly who he had to go looking for.

He found Pansy in an empty hallway, eating a seventh year Ravenclaw's face off.

"Pansy!"

The girl detached herself from her partner and regarded her newfound friend with a look beyond annoyance. Everyone thought it very weird how the two of them became so close.

"God fucking damn it, Potter. Can't you see I'm busy?"

"This is important, you thirsty bitch."

Yeah, I guess the most weird thing about them was that they still talked like they were the worst of enemies. If it weren't for that, people might have actually started thinking they were dating.

"I'm gonna fucking kill you one of these days", the girl muttered, letting go of the boy and focusing on Harry nonetheless. "What is it?"

"Draco! He just fucking coughed blood in front of me and he looks like hell and he's been avoiding me for days and I don't know what the fuck to do", he frantically explained.

Pansy just sighed and shook her head sadly.

"I told him he wouldn't be able to hide it from you for long."

"What do you mean? Hide what?"

"Remember our last potions lesson? The potion we studied?"

"The one on Monday?"

"Yeah."

"It had to do with unrequited love."

"Had to do with unrequited love", Pansy repeated, staring at him in disbelief. "That's all you remember about it."

"Well, yeah", Harry sheepishly agreed, scratching at the back of his head. "I got... distracted."

And sure, he wasn't lying. Because he had been paired up with Draco for that task and well, it had been rather hard to concentrate on anything else.

"If you drink it, it makes you sick if you are absolutely certain that the object of your love does not feel the same way about you."

"Ok and what does any of this have to do with Draco?"

"Let me lay it easy on you. Some of the first symptoms are paling skin, trouble sleeping and coughing blood. Sound familiar?"

And it suddenly dawned on Harry. And he fucking froze.

"Didn't Proffesor Slughorn say that you could die from it?" he asked, eyes blown wide and terror settling in the pit of his stomach.

"Yeah", Pansy replied softly.