26. The Quidditch Cup

Y/N's POV

Me and the rest of the Gryffindor team entered the Great Hall the next day to enormous applause. I couldn't help but grin broadly as I saw that both the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables were applauding us too. The Slytherin table hissed loudly as we passed.

Wood spent the whole of breakfast urging his team to eat while touching nothing himself. Then he hurried us off to the field before anyone else had finished, so we could get an idea of the conditions. As we left the Great Hall, everyone applauded again.

"Okay, no wind to speak of, sun's a bit bright, that could impair your vision, watch out for it, the ground's fairly hard, good, that'll give us a fast kickoff-"

Wood paced the field, staring around with the whole team behind him. Finally, they saw the front doors of the castle open in the distance and the rest of the school spilling onto the lawn.

"Locker rooms," said Wood.

None of us spoke as we changed into our scarlet robes. In what seemed like no time at all, Wood was saying. "Okay, it's time, let's go-"

We walked out onto the field to a tidal wave of noise. Three-quarters of the crowd was wearing scarlet rosettes, waving scarlet flags with the Gryffindor lion upon them, or brandishing banners with slogans like 'GO GRYFFINDOR!' and 'LIONS FOR THE CUP'. Behind the Slytherin goal posts, however, two hundred people were wearing green, the silver serpent of Slytherin glittered on their flags, and Professor Snape sat in the very front row, wearing green like everyone else.

"And here are the Gryffindors!" yelled Lee Jordan, who was acting as commentator as usual. "L/N, L/N, Johnson, Bell, Weasley, Weasley, and Wood. Widely acknowledged as the best team Hogwarts has seen in a good few years-"

Lee's comments were drowned by a tide of 'boos' from the Slytherin end.

"And here come the Slytherin team, led by Captain Flint. He's made some changes in the lineup and seems to be going for size rather than skill-"

More boos from the Slytherin crowd. I thought Lee had a point. Malfoy was easily the smallest person on the Slytherin team, the rest of them were enormous.

"Captains, shake hands!" said Madam Hooch.

Flint and Wood approached each other and grasped each other's hand very tightly, it looked as though each was trying to break the other's fingers.

"Mount your brooms!" said Madam Hooch. "Three...two...one..."

The sound of her whistle was lost in the roar from the crowd as fourteen brooms rose into the air. I felt the air rush past my H/C hair as I rose up into the air on my Firebolt and sped off in search of the Snitch, Malfoy following behind.

"And it's Gryffindor in possession, Angelina Johnson of Gryffindor with the Quaffle, heading straight for the Slytherin goal posts. Argh, no, Quaffle intercepted by Warrington, Warrington of Slytherin tearing up the field, WHAM! nice Bludger work there by George Weasley, Warrington drops the Quaffle, it's caught by L/N, Gryffindor back in possession, come on, Issac, nice swerve around Montague. Duck, Issac, that's a Bludger! AND HE SCORES! TEN-ZERO TO GRYFFINDOR!"

Issac punched the air as he soared around the end of the field, the sea of scarlet below was screaming in delight

"OUCH!"

Issac was nearly thrown from his broom as Marcus Flint went smashing into him.

"Sorry!" said Flint as the crowd below booed. "Sorry, didn't see him!"

A moment later, Fred Weasley chucked his Beater's club at the back of Flint's head. Flint's nose smashed into the handle of his broom and began to bleed.