Chapter 6

Hey guys, sorry it took so long to get this up. I have been having to write a novel in my Creative Writing class and I've been dedicating all my attention to it. This will be the last post for a bit. As I will be focusing all my energy on writing that novel. But thank you all for still reading!

When the boats first rounded the bend and we got our first look at Hogwarts, there were gasps all around.

"Wow, it's so big!" One voice exclaimed.

"Oh, wow!" Others shouted.

Overall, I think we were all pretty impressed. I personally was squirming in my seat with nervousness. I knew that at some point in the next hour or so, I would be sorted into one of the four houses. The reason I was so nervous about that was that I honestly wasn't sure what house I belonged in. Sure, I'd taken all those online tests and such, but how could I know if those were really accurate?

When the boats finally landed at the boathouse, Hagrid escorted us all up the stairs to the Great Hall, he knocked three times on the gigantic doors. Immediately, they opened to reveal someone I recognized right away. None other than Professor McGonagall, herself. Probably the most bad-ass professor at the school, next to Dumbledore, of course.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I can take them from here."

Hagrid slowly walked into the Great Hall ahead of us. The doors clattered shut behind him.

Professor McGonagall looked at us sternly, as though daring us to interrupt her to ask a question.

"Now, in a few moments, you will walk through doors and be sorted into your houses. There are four, they are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. All are quite noble houses with very long histories. You will wait here while I see to a few preparations." With that, she opened the doors and disappeared from sight within. The doors shut behind her with a loud bang that made most of them jump.

"Wonder what we have to do to be sorted." A quiet voice said ringing out in the silence. The girl who had spoken was a shy looking blonde girl with her hair in two pigtails.

"Oh, I've read all about it in Hogwarts: A History. Hermione said excitedly. "They have us-"

Before she could say anything more, the doors opened again, Professor McGonagall appeared and said, "We're ready for you. Please, follow me."

We all followed behind her walking two by two down the narrow aisle between the two middle tables. When we reached the front of the hall, I nearly cried from excitement. Professor Dumbledore was sitting at the head table. Looking at the first years with a twinkle in his eye. He nodded to McGonagall to begin, and she said, "I will call your name; when I do, please come up, and you will be sorted into your houses.

"Hannah Abbott!" The shy blonde girl cautiously walked up, sat on the stool, and Professor McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on her head.

"Hufflepuff!" It cried out after a few moments.

The sorting continued through the list alphabetically.

Susan Bones went to Hufflepuff as well. Terry Boot became the first to join the Ravenclaw table who cheered very enthusiastically for their newest member. When Millicent Bulstrode was sorted into Slytherin, I eyed them warily. They honestly looked just as I had imagined them in the books. Very big, ugly, and overall rather unpleasant looking.

When Hermione's name was called, I looked up eagerly to watch her get sorted. Of course, I wasn't at all surprised when the sorting cried out, "Gryffindor!" and she ran over to join the Weasleys twins at the Gryffindor table who were clapping enthusiastically. I really hoped I was sorted with them. They always made me laugh.