"Accept what?" Katara asked, sitting next to her.

"That I'm not going to win any of those stupid fights, even if I'm put up against Prince Lu Ten or Cousin Kuzon," Avizeh mumbled, her voice quiet and faint.

"But you were doing really well with the knife," Jin said with a bright, slightly forced smile. "I wouldn't give up hope."

"So I nearly hit a tree that's unmoving and five feet wide. Big whoop. Let's just face it...I'm never going to be good enough by the time the competition turns around." Avizeh sniffled. "And it's just so...unfair. I love Prince Zuko so much, and he might come to love me too, but we'll never get the chance. It's so tragic!" she cried, throwing herself onto the tabletop as her sobbing resumed.

While Katara thought her dramatics were a bit much, the heart of her problems truly hit hard. Katara was as unconcerned as they came about the fights. She had reason to believe she'd come out as a winner, whatever that meant. Or, she wouldn't. To worry about it seemed so stupid, compared to the real atrocities that Katara knew lay at home or in the cities around them. To Avizeh, this competition wasn't so simply put aside. Avizeh annoyed Zuko thirty percent of the time, but he was fond of many girls that Katara knew couldn't have a chance in hell at winning a fight against a Royal family member. It did seem terribly unfair that he'd never get to explore that further with them, and that these girls would be put through the stress and rigor of this stupid rule just to fail.

Katara rubbed Avizeh's back comfortingly. There wasn't much she could say. Avizeh, by her own announcement, was correct. She wasn't going to win one of these. She could hardly hold a spoon without it quivering and she screamed for ten minutes when a bug flew into her mouth once.

Looking out on the girls, who she now realized were all practicing some form of defensive or fighting techniques, Katara truly did wonder how many would be packing their bags. Maybe Avizeh had it right. Maybe letting the pieces fall where they were now, realizing that her chances were slim, was the right way to go. She'd at least spend her time doing things she'd prefer instead of trying to become a seasoned warrior in less than a moon. As it was, Avizeh's days here were set to expire.

Jin's face was set into a worried scowl. Katara had a feeling that, unless Jin pulled something extraordinary out of her, she would lose this fight too. Yue as well, she realized, looking at her light-haired friend.

While Avizeh's possible departure was met with a small hint of sadness, Jin's possible departure was a bit more depressing, and the thought of Yue having to go because of something so stupid made Katara equal parts angry and sad.

Katara could manage without Avizeh or Jin in the palace. Letting go of Yue, when she knew how highly Zuko regarded her?

It may be completely stupid, but Katara could not idly sit by.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" Katara murmured to Yue once it seemed Avizeh had calmed down enough to be left with just Jin. "Maybe...in your room?"

"Is something the matter? Can I help with anything?" Yue asked, immediately concerned.

"No, not really. I just..." Katara was unsure how to phrase it. "Please?"

There must have been some sort of desperation in Katara's voice, for Yue nodded twice. She hugged Avizeh and promised that she'd be back down in just a moment before leading Katara upstairs. Yue's room was washed in the same blues as Katara's, but more muted, like the view outside during a blistery snow-storm.

"Would you like anything?" Yue asked, clasping her hands in front of her. "I have some candies from the North, or I could always summon a maid to make us some tea. My father just sent the most aromatic brew. I believe it's made with-"