The first Night

[Scene: Nian'er has met her father, they talked for a long time, she was put to bed while Ling Xi and Jiu Chen return to their room and finally are alone to catch up]

For a long time, she sat hugging his arm and resting her head on his shoulder like she did so often in the past, unable to utter a sound. A part of her was over-joyed at his return, another was fearful he might leave again. As if he can read her mind, he placed his hand on hers and tenderly squeeze.

"I'm not going anywhere." He said softly. "I'll never leave you again."

She Smiled and nodded as tears began streaming down her cheeks.

"Ling Xi, I'm sorry I left you alone for so long." He said. "I am even more sorry that you had to parent Nian'er alone."

"Mm." She replied. She had long forgiven him. Back then, there was no time to react differently. He was right, he wasn't just her husband, he was the God of War, the fate of the world rest upon his shoulders. Even if she wanted him to stay by her side, she couldn't be the reason that the world fell apart. She wanted to be stronger for him, so she too must make the sacrifice.

They sat together long into the night, catching up on what has been going on in the past 300 years. There really was so much that had happened.

How she waited by the demon gate everyday for a month until she found out she was pregnant, Nian'er birth, Qing Yao and Yun Feng's moving in together, Shi San's and Hua Yen's return, Shang Ling Tribes, her moving to Conji Yuan, the changes she had made to their home, and more.

She talked for hours while he listen with interest, nodding or offering a few "Oh" or "Mm" here and there.

When she was too tired to talk anymore, he finally told her about how he escape the demon realm. Thanks to the combined effort of the heavenly lord, his master, and his own cultivation, he was able to create a temporary pathway out.

"Do you think he will return?" She asked finally.

He was quiet in his thought for a while, before answering honestly. "I hope not anytime soon." In truth, he wasn't sure. When they were trapped in the demon realm together, neither of their powers had affected one another.

Jing Xiu for his part had spent almost 300 years taunting him about never seeing her again, that she'd moved on. At first, it was easy enough to ignore the words of a mad man, but after hearing it for hundreds of years, it was understandable that it got under his skin.

——

In the early morning, Ling Xi was stirred awake by the sound of Nian'er's laughter. Opening her eyes, the spot next to her where Jiu Chen had slept was empty. She quickly got off the bed to search the room but there was no sign of him.

Was it all a dream? She hurriedly put on her shoes and rushed out the room to find Nian'er playing with Wu Wan in the great hall merrily.

She stood frozen in place for a moment when is familiar voice came from behind her, "Good morning."

Jiu Chen wrapped his arms around his wife and rest his chin on her shoulder. Only then did Ling Xi allow herself to breath, her heart, which has been racing just a moment ago began to slow down. Tears well up in her eyes as she turn around to wrap her arms around him tightly and cry into his chest, surprising him in the process, but he returned her embrace all the same.

--------------------