Chapter 1

Kayline

"We're just friends, Key", I reminded her again.

"Friends? Please, girl. If I had been with the same nigga for four years, then there's no such thing as friends anymore," she replied.

"Key", I started, "You have been with the same nigga for four years."

Key grabbed her pink lemonade, took a sip, raised her eyebrows and replied, "yeah, so?"

Kiara and I were seated at Lisa's Café discussing about the same topic that we had been talking about for years: Sean and I. Sean and I have been together for four years. We met in our senior year of high school and became best friends. He was one of my closest friends and someone that I told everything to. We met each other's families and went everywhere together until we decided to cut the crap and start dating. We dated for a year, falling in love with each other every single day, but sadly, a year or two later, our relationship started to tragically fall apart. After breaking up the first time, we decided to date other people. This resulted in years of cheating, heartbreak, on again off again, and counseling. Now we were both in a friends-with-benefits stage.

It was hard for me to talk about Sean without crying because I was seriously in love with him, he just kept fucking up.

"Key, he literally sat me down and told me that if I wanted to break up with him, I could. He told me it was in my boat. Can you believe that shit?" I asked her.

"Bitch are you serious? That nigga really don't even want it anymore. If he don't want it, why don't he just say it? Why is he punking out?" She asked.

"I don't know!" I yelled in anger. "I told him the only reason I would break up is if I was really done with him, and you know I still love him."

"That shits crazy man."

I took a sip of my pink lemonade, too. "I mean, are you and Toby like this?"

Toby was Sean's best friend. They were friends since they were little kids. They both ran track in high school together and were basically brothers. Toby dated my best friend Kiara and they were also together for the same amount of time. However, they had issues as well. An on-again off-again relationship, their relationship consisted of tears, lies, cheating and just plain drama. However, they were both in a really good place now, better than the last four years.

"I mean," she started, "we're working on it. It's a lot better than how it used to be." She paused. "Actually, now that I think about it, it's kind of weird. We're really good. Like so good. Like weirdly good."

"Is he like, looking past the attitude or something?"

She shook her head. "No like, I don't even give attitude. Like everything is so well. On both parts. We're both oddly good." She looked into the sun and stared at it for a minute.

I stared at her and replied, "Yeah that's weird."

After about five minutes of both awkwardly staring at the sun, as if we had telepathic powers, we both stood up and headed for Kiara's Mercedes parked in the lot and she drove home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We pulled up to the eight-bedroom mansion that we live in with the rest of the guys. Instead of choosing apartments like regular college students, we chose to live in a big mansion outside the city of our college town. The mansion had a big living room, big kitchen with marble tile and floors connected to the dining room, a piano room, mainly because the boys liked to play, a grand stairwell, and eight bedrooms all located upstairs.