Chapter 19

John and Robert were enjoying a fashionably late breakfast, all the while discussing their guests potential identity.

"I don't think it will be as simple as that. I can inquire around quietly, at White's and maybe a few other places. Have you considered asking your father's man?"

John choked on his tea, "I just as soon rather not bring it to his attention, if you can understand my meaning. The last thing I need is for my father to be informed of my guests existence. "

"What about hiring Bow—" Rob half swallowed that question as Watson entered the room. "Who drags earls shopping for bows? That's what I asked her—Of course, I cannot--in good conscience—let her go to London alone, so there you have it, I am escorting the ladies for the duration of their shopping trip to London." He said with a shrug and sipped his cup for good measure.

Bows? Shopping? What was Rob talking about? "It is quite considerate indeed." John mumbled. Was he supposed to continue this line of reasoning? Right, Watson had walked in. Leave it to Rob to try and confuse both of them.

"Well, perhaps I can join you on your trip and meet up with my crew, see to the arrangements and—" John was really getting into the story now.

"My lords—" Watson clears his throat again, waiting to be acknowledged before interrupting the two.

John and Rob ignored Watson's pointed interjection, listing off all the tasks and errands they planned to accomplish during their stay in London—he of course was frustrated at being ignored. The appearance of the slightly bulging vein in his forehead gave John the satisfaction of knowing he had given Watson a run for his money. Tit for tat, consider it a recompense for all doubt thrown my way, he thought. He winked at Rob with triumph in his eyes. From Rob's animated look John could see his friend was enjoying this entirely too much, which in turn made him feel a sense of perverse pleasure in knowing he had re initiated this old ritual without much effort what so ever. Yet, at the same time, his conscious was ill at ease and contrite for encouraging the torture of his butler. The latter   feeling did not last long.

"What is it man?"

"Your lordship, there are guests waiting for you in the parlor."

John and Robert looked at each other, and then shrugged. John was not expecting any guests this morning, but if someone was here that probably meant they knew he was home, and that limited who could be visiting this early.

"Watson, did you happen to get a name?"

"Yes your lordship. It's Carter, he is joined by two others, Mr. Tan Tan and Miss Mei. They arrived earlier and are waiting in the parlor to see you."

There was an obvious silence that shrouded the room, Watson was waiting for John's reaction. John looked up at the old man, and instantly knew the butler's thoughts. Watson was unsure about the position and treatment Carter would receive. This old man never failed to amaze him.

"What are you waiting for? Don't make them wait any further. Will you send someone to bring more food and tea? They must be hungry." The relief on the older man's face spoke volumes to John. He had long forgotten their relationship to Carter. They had raised him and would worry about how he would be treated. John waited for Watson to exit the room, "Now what were you referring to earlier? Bow what?"

Rob put the knife down completely unaware of the currents that had passed between John and Watson, "Bow street runners--you know, you can hire one to make inquiries on your behalf without arousing suspicion. They are quite good these days and can keep your identity confidential while they are on the job. They find records and check people's alibi's. I used one recently that I can recommend, although he is still making inquiries--" Rob hesitated, should he talk to John about this? "What do you think?"

As if on cue John picked up on Robert's hesitation, nevertheless he owed him one. After all his friend had helped rescue his damsel in distress, and in his own way John magnanimously allowed for Rob to adjust to the idea of confiding in him again. He could always force Rob to walk the plank later, after all, they needed time to become reacquainted again. "A Bow street runner sounds practical--Don't give him any details, just the signet design and have him get us as much information about its potential owner. Don't mention her name or existance either." 

Robert was always surprised when he had an opportunity to observe John, it was quite fascinating when his alter ego presented himself. In the past, he purposefully hid his talents, interests and strengths, putting on the facade expected of a dandy, bored and glutton for extravagance, in part to avoid the banal posturing of those with lower social standing looking for opportunities for upward mobility and in part in favor of getting a rise out of the Duke. A twisted sense of humor and defiance towards an antiquated ducal persona. On rare occasions, when his  ideals were pushed or challenged beyond his tolerance, his education and place in the peerage, ancestry if you will, shone through. He would morph, demand respect  and wield his birthright as well as the Duke himself, surprising and often beating his opponents into submission. It was not who he was, just what he could do. But the man now, sitting here was different. 

The John than could step in and out of that persona and revert to his playful or lackadaisical facade was gone. The man now was every bit different as day light was to the dark of night, he knew exactly what it felt like to be responsible and in command at all times. The shrewdness with which he made demands today were exact and unyielding. Not at all the hysterical man awaiting the doctor's arrival a few nights ago, Rob noted. He was used to commanding respect. How interesting his friend had become. 

"Consider it done." Rob drank more tea, almost reverting to his musings when he remembered the arrival of their guests. "Wait, Carter? Our Carter?"

"So about this shopping excursion, are you really going to accompany them to purchase bows?" John smirked, ignoring Robert's question. 

Robert wanted to tell his friend to go to said places unknown when the doors opened and the trio arrived.  John took one last sip of his tea and stood up to greet his crew.

***

Carter had mixed feelings as he led his two fellow companions to the upstairs dining room. Although he was in a hurry to meet John and report on their cargo, he was apprehensive, continually looking around in hopes of catching a glimpse of Mrs. Watson. He was worried too, it was not at all like her to stay away, in the past she would have hunted him down. It would take three footman to stop the woman if anyone even dared to get in the way of her objective. Carter mused.  

Growing up in Cedar Lane had many advantages, even for servants. The duchess valued educated minds. She had ensured that the village children had a proper teacher at the vicarage, and that meant that she required all the crofters and servants to follow suit and send their children to the same school, where the children  were taught how to read and write. His companions followed sedately behind him as Carter climbed the banister, all the while observing their surroundings and unsure of their own reception by their host. 

"Carter, how long are we remaining here?" Tan asked.

"I am uncertain of the duration at the moment, I am confidant that the Captain will have his own ideas as well." Carter replied as they approached the doors.

"Can we stay here?" Mei asked.

Carter rapped on the door and entered without further hesitation.

***

"Finally, you are here." John crossed the room to greet his new guests.

"As I live and breathe" Robert rose to his feet and walked over to Carter, immediately embracing his hand in greeting. "John, for heavens sake, has he been here this entire time?"

Carter at once felt at ease. Here he was with old friends, together again. Finally a broad smile broke over his face. "I say, you two are looking more gentlemanly," he observed.

"Sod off!" John and Robert retorted in unison to Carter's delight. The trio burst into laughter.

Author's note: I have been thinking a lot about how to speed up my writing, so hereby I ask your forgiveness as I start posting unedited chapters. if you happen to catch any mistakes please kindly note them or forgive me for them, but hopefully that will get the chapters moving faster. My goal is to try and post them as I finish them and go back for edits later. Happy reading!

As always, please remember to vote, and comment. Your messages mean the world to me!