MILLION TIMES

~~~~~~~~~~~
~ ~

Ednah sat under the swing besides their beautiful crafted house at a beautiful evening and thoughtfully watched the sun set. She wasn't paying any attention to what was taking place before her, not even the bug that flew so close to her eyes. She travelled faraway and left her body behind.

Her eyes were getting blurry with tears but changing nothing of her facial features. Her feet almost reluctantly swung her to and fro. She wore a long sleeved grey blouse and blue light jeans that looked a bit off her body as if she worked on losing weight. She faced a grassy minimum sized yard bordered by thickets in the west.

"Hey, Eddie." A man called her from the porch. She snapped out of her thoughts and wiped her tears from her face as she stood and scurried into the house.

It was wooden, older and climbing plants were allover the roof and its base, intentionally let to grow to enhance the outlook of the house.

"Ah, anything to expect?" Ednah asked the man he found seated on an outdoor chair facing the yard with a tea table before him on which roughly cut box papers were disorganized.
He looked slimly muscular and taller than Ednah. By the time Ednah leaned on the pillar facing him, he had thrown about three papers away. He looked desperate and unsettled.

"Easy, Jagua, Easy." Said Ednah crouching by the table. "This was expected. We wrote to them knowing the highest possibility. Give it a rest, please." She whined irresistibly, her eyes blurring tears once more.

"Can you imagine? Brandon, Gerald, Frank, and Eric, and Bosco, and Anna, and Merry.....and..and.... Are dead!! Do.. Don't you feel it?"

Ednah stood up and wrapped her hand around the pillar not looking at Jagua.

"I didn't tell you. You would've not said that. Earlier this year, my mum was hang because she denied to tell them where others hid including me the runaway."

"Why? Why didn't you tell me?" Jagua stood from his seat, his white vest pressed on his abdomen at the passing of a lively breeze, and walked off the porch down in the grass where he could have a good look at her.

"This!" She pointed at the letters on the table trying not to cry. "These have walled you away from giving a damn how I am. Maybe yours is far worse and am just girlish to think mine hurts too. You chose not to know. If I never left my mum and siblings behind, they must've been here today with us. I don't even know where they went. Am alone, Jagua. ALONE!" She cried this time openly.

"Come on, Eddie, am right here." He moved back up and turned her round and comforted her.

"Let's, arh, Eddie, try to forget all th..." His voice began to shiver and stopped himself from saying a word.

"You won't stop!" Ednah said pulling herself out of Jagua's hands and back into the house, adding on... "Let the past go! We are still alive!" She entered and in no time at all she reappeared;
"You've been grieving for two years now and no sign your letting go!" She added pointing directly through him that if he was close, would've nailed her finger into his chest.

"I've lost more than....

Ednah reentered the house.

Jagua cuddled himself and inhaled deeply and passed his fingers in his shaved face. The sun was glimpsing at the house through the deciduous thickets. His face then told another hopeful story when he paused stricken by an idea he thought to cool Ednah down.

"Wait, Eddie, wait."He hurried inside.

There was a shape shifter table opposite from the window that looked out to the swing, a shelf above the table where utensils had a room. Jagua held her back as she got the door knob into the other compartment.

"What if we go look for your siblings? They're alive somewhere! Must have ran away to some relatives. Kids have survival instincts, remember?" He said without a pause as he massaged her shoulders.

"You've forgot Doreen?

"She's just a baby. Shall we? You can be pessimistic enough but have to find out. All those we have lost during our hiding maybe, could've lived."

"Thank you, love." She gave him a satisfactory hug and pecked his cheek where she could make it, her no makeup brown skinned body drawing into Jagua's flat chest. "You don't know how many times I've thought about them. Million times! The same about your lost relatives, so sorry."

She turned away and fetched the candelabrum that hang on a hook beside the window, put it at the table and ignited it as night crept in. Jagua fetched the tea table and the seat into the house.

The door into the other room slowly rolled ajar and looking at the two was a girl of about three to four years, yawned, stretched as she wandered to Ednah, her mother, and rested her head on her laps. This she bore during her mid teenage years when she eloped with Jagua from her parents.

"Mummy," she said, dizzy.

"Dora you've finally woke up. So bored."

She made her seat upon her laps and cuddled her tightly then got up and headed into the corner diagonal to that at the bedroom entrance where a basket filled with juicy super ripen fruits was positioned and picked randomly what turned out to be a mango, put it in her left and added from the basket a bunch of berries then went back to her seat.

Jagua sat opposite the two unimportantly reviewing the returned no-replies letters at which he clenched his jaws in secret that Ednah couldn't notice that look she had fought all this time to fade from his face.

"Edie, He raised his head and looked into her eyes.
She hopelessly helped Dora take a berry which the tot seemed to enjoy as she grabbed her mother's hand by the wrist to her mouth so she could have more of it, Edna's lips twitched and she licked them in pretence.

The tone in her voice as she responded with a retorted low voice betrayed her.

"Thanks for reading!!! Hope you enjoyed it ... Vote n comment if you liked it. Its only how you can appreciate."

What does this book or chapter reminds you?

Feel free to give your ideas in the comments..☺️☺️

Scroll down