Part Two

I turn around and head back to my room to deposit the champagne flutes and the bubbly before I fire a quick text to Grace. 

Where’d you go, Houdini?

As I wait for her reply, I tear open the envelope and scan the document until I locate Barun’s cell number. I punch it into my phone because if I’m going to keep up with Grace, I can’t guarantee that I’ll remember to do it later. As I’m holding it, her reply pops up on the screen.

Omg. This place is amazing.

I type back.

Wouldn’t know. Looking at my room, which is amazing but only 1/1000000 of the actual ship. Where are you?

The prom. Meet me?

The prom? Should I bust out the powder blue tux and the hairspray?

Stupid autocorrect she types back The promenade. Deck 5. Meet me?

I love how she asks, as if I would ever deny her. I tell her I’ll be right there and search through the documents for a map of this place. I can figure out how to get to deck 5 but if she wants to do some onboard sightseeing, we will need it. Sure enough, a map is included in my welcome package and I fold it and place it in my pocket for safekeeping. I immediately decide to add the itinerary, curious to see what it contains if I get a few minutes. With a final sweep of my new sleeping quarters, I lock the door behind me.

The elevator is a good five minute hike from the staterooms which makes me question how she disappeared so bloody fast. When the doors slide open, a tall raven-haired girl is standing behind them, her pointer finger grasped between her front teeth. When I step inside, the corners of her mouth turn upward into a smirk.

She takes her hand out of her mouth and extends it. “Chester See.”

Girl trying to share slobber ladened fingertips with me. I sidestep, hit deck 5, ‘Promenade’ and give a friendly wave in an effort to avoid the unwanted exchange of bodily fluids.

Her hand falls to her side. “I’m a big fan.”

I nod. “Than—”

Before I can finish voicing my gratitude, she cuts me off, “of Grace. Do you know where she is? She’s the whole reason I came on this cruise.”

Spittle girl just got creepier.

I cast a glance at the buttons on the elevator.  She’s going to deck 13, marked ‘Lagoon.’ I shrug nonchalantly. “No idea, actually, but if you see her can you tell her I’m looking for her?”

The elevator promptly stops at deck 5 and so help me God, if the doors open to reveal Grace, I’m going to go all Tom Cruise, get my girl, and make a run for it. I don’t have to worry though, the area in front of me is vast and spotting Grace is going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

“Have a nice afternoon,” I say.

“You too,” she mutters.

I walk into a floating city. To my left, there’s a martini bar called Shaken Not Stirred to my right, a restaurant I’m entirely underdressed for and in front of me, whoa. The makeshift streets are lined with shops and stores and bars. There’s even a theater, which I can only imagine puts on some pretty spectacular shows at nighttime.

Toward the middle of the deck is an indoor garden, filled with lush, tropical plants and a small water feature. That’s where I find Grace, sitting on a bench, sipping a pink slushy drink with an umbrella sticking out of the top. I flop down beside her, glad to finally be in her company again.