𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐬

-

-

I FELL ASLEEP VERY QUICKLY LAST NIGHT. When I finally woke up from my slumber, I felt like a zombie. I could barely open my eyes, despite sleeping for almost thirteen hours. I finally forced myself out of bed, heading straight for the shower in the hopes that it would wake me up- and it did. My phone began vibrating over and over again, and as I left the bathroom, a towel wrapped around me, hair still wet, I continued to ignore it. Instead, I headed to the kitchen, prioritizing my breakfast as my tummy was rumbling, screaming at me for food. Grabbing the frying pan, I debated whether to make an omelet or pancakes today. Settling for pancakes, I searched the cupboards for all the ingredients I would need; milk, eggs, and flour to name a few. As I mixed all the ingredients together and poured the contents into the frying pan, I glanced at my phone, noticing Nano was trying to video call me.

"Buenos dias Little Italia! Hoy es un día fantástico! Finalmente tengo libertad." He said, holding up two handfuls of watches, causing me to be confused. "Freedom? Nano, where did you get those?" He smiled happily, before tapping his nose, indicating it's a secret - for now, at least. "Come over later, we're going to celebrate." He said, and I laughed at him doing a silly dance with the watches that will help him be free. He then seemed to notice my outfit or lack of, and he giggled to himself. "Bonito traje." He said, causing me to blush profusely. He blew me a kiss goodbye, still giggling at my now red face, and I rolled my eyes just as he hung up. I finished making my pancakes, serving them on a plate for myself as I got changed into my uniform, taking a mouthful of pancake every now and then, until it was finished, and I was dressed and ready to go. I packed my bag, making sure I had my notebook in there, before heading to Las Encinas, not even sure what kind of mess I was walking into.

When I walked into our tutor class, everyone seemed upset. Guzman sat stressed, head in his hands, as apparently last night his father was arrested. Marina didn't look herself either, but according to her, it was her new medication, although I wasn't convinced. Lú stood behind him, rubbing his shoulders comfortingly, as they spoke about how his dad would hopefully be home soon on bail. As Lú walked away, heading off to god knows where, I used this as my chance to approach Guzman, see if he was okay. "Guzman? How are you holding up?" I said as I stood behind him, one hand on his shoulder. I noticed Carla staring at me and whispering to Polo, but decided to ignore them and focus on my friend. "Shit. I can't believe they are doing this. They have nothing on my dad. Nada." He said, and I wrapped my arms around his neck from behind, placing a light peck on his cheek. "It'll be okay Guzman. Your dad will be out soon." I said, before sitting down in my place next to Christian, noticing Carla and Polo staring at us both quizzically.

"Can I talk to Christian please?" Carla asked after class, with Polo beside her. I rolled my eyes, wishing Christian good luck, before heading to my locker only a little bit further down the corridor. They began talking quietly, but their volume increase suddenly, and I noticed Christian's facial expression was one of annoyance or anger perhaps. "Venga, estamos aquí de buena fe, Christian." Polo said as if trying to reason with his friend. "Sí, ser llamado ladrón me hace sentir muy bien." I pretended I wasn't listening, staring into my locker as if looking for something, but I knew exactly what they were talking about. The mystery from this morning solved. The watches that will earn Nano his freedom must have belonged to either Carla or Polo's families. As Polo continued, telling Christian to give back the watches, and that it wouldn't be a problem, I noticed Marina paying very close attention to their conversation, listening to every detail. I focused back on the couple and Christian, who was repeating that he didn't steal them, and Carla began talking about the importance of one particular watch. Christian, of course, didn't care for anything they were saying because he was telling the truth- he really didn't steal the watches. No matter what, they will not believe him, because he is the only one who visited their home who is penniless, as Polo said. Christian storms off in anger at Polo's words, leaving the pair standing there, confused. I slam my locker door shut, catching the attention of the pair, shaking my head tutting at them. "You really can't see that he's telling the truth, can you?" As I walked away slowly, still facing the pair, I called out to them, "Are you trying to say the rich don't steal? Pura mierda!" I yelled to them, storming off after Christian, noticing Samuel and Marina staring me down.