2 || interrupted conversations

"Hi," you breathed.

Wow, I actually managed to form a word, you thought proudly.

"Hi," Stanley replied. He looked down at the books and quickly handed them over to you. "Sorry about that, here you go."

"Thanks."

You awkwardly stared at each other for a moment before you heard someone abruptly yell, "Look, everyone, it's Derry's favorite couple!"

The two of you turned your attention toward Richie, who was dramatically strutting over to you with Bill and Eddie at his sides, both of them looking like they'd rather be anywhere else other than there.

"Hey lovebirds!" he shouted, grinning broadly and wrapping an arm around both of your shoulders, pulling you together much closer than you'd like.

"We're not lovebirds, Richie." You shook your head exasperatedly and shrugged his arm off, taking a large step away.

Stanley did the same and kicked Richie in the shin, earning a loud "OW!" from him.

"Ignore him," he said, focusing his attention solely on you. "This might sound like a stupid question, but do you... remember us from elementary?"

You smiled widely. "How could I ever forget?" You pointed at each of them as you said their names. "Stanley, Richie, Bill, and Eddie."

"W-we c-couldn't forget y-you either," Bill stuttered, a small smile on his face.

When an awkward silence filled the air, you loudly cleared your throat.

"Uh, Richie invited me over here," you explained.

"Sounds like something he would do," Eddie suddenly spoke up, shaking his head at his friend.

"It does," Stanley agreed. "Don't mind him. He's an idiot but we can't get rid of him because he has no other friends."

"Ouch, that hurts!" Richie exclaimed, clutching a hand to his chest. "How could you do this to me? I'm wounded! My heart!"

"I'm kidding," Stanley rolled his eyes.

"No he's not," Eddie said matter-of-factly.

"Also, your heart's on the other side of your chest," you added.

Richie moved his hands over to where his heart actually was.

"I knew that."

"Sure you did," you laughed at his theatrics.

"By the way, Y/N/N— I'm allowed to call you that, right?— are you doing anything today?" Richie asked nonchalantly.

"Umm," you paused and thought for a moment. "I think I'm just going to meet Beverly at the pharmacy later and that's it. Why?"

Eddie not-so-subtly nudged Stanley's shoulder, giving him a look that you couldn't quite understand. The curly haired boy responded by glaring at him.

"Well," Stanley started tentatively. "I was wondering— well, we were wondering, actually— if you'd maybe want to—"

However, before he could finish his sentence, a voice loudly called out "Y/N/N!" from behind you.

You turned around to see Beverly frantically waving for you to come over.

Perfect time to interrupt, Beverly, you thought.

"I'm so sorry, I have to go," you said, hurriedly stuffing your textbooks into your backpack, not caring if they got bent in the process. "Beverly's dad wants her home as soon as possible, and, uh, my parents are probably worried about me too. What were you saying, Stanley?"

Bill, Eddie, and Richie all looked over at him to see what he would say.

"Never mind," Stanley said, his voice strained, almost like he was having an internal battle with himself. "I hope you have a great summer."

"You too!" you smiled warmly. "I'll see you guys around?"

"See you around," he confirmed, nodding.

You headed over to where Beverly was standing waiting for you and waved them goodbye.

"Until next time, hot stuff!" Richie cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled, waving his hand around in the air wildly.

"Bye," Stanley said softly, a sharp contrast to Richie's farewell.

The four of them waited until Beverly and Y/N were out of sight, then Richie punched Stanley in the arm. Hard.

"Ow!" Stanley exclaimed, rubbing his arm. "What was that for, Richie? That's going to bruise!"

"You missed your chance to invite her to hang out with us!" Richie said indignantly, shoving him.

"It's not that big of a deal," Stanley spoke through gritted teeth, still clutching his arm. "It's not like she would've said yes, anyway. Why would someone like her want to spend her time with a bunch of losers like us?"

"'Someone like her?'" Eddie repeated in disbelief. "Wow, you really like her, don't you?"

"What?" Stanley's eyes widened as he shook his head furiously. "I never said that! When did I say that? I don't remember ever saying that!"

"Y-you d-didn't have to," Bill said. "W-we could all t-tell."

"Well, I don't," Stanley insisted. The others threw him looks of skepticism. "Seriously!"

"Oh, come on, Stan, we're not stupid," Eddie said. "Well, actually, Richie is, but he doesn't count."

"Wow, I'm just getting attacked today, aren't I?" Richie asked, an offended look on his face.

"It's not attacking you," Eddie said. "It's stating facts."

"Well, you want to know a fact about your mom?"

"Shut up, Richie!"

"Shut up both of you," Stanley rolled his eyes. "Summer break officially started exactly sixteen minutes ago. Why are we still at school? Let's go."

"Y-yeah," Bill nodded. "It's g-going to be a b-busy day. We're going to the s-s-sewers this time."