"You know what?" Her voice wavered. She loved her job but also wanted her peace of mind far more than any other thing.

"What?" Sucre said softly.

He had been accessing her since the second he got into her office and didn't like the look on her face. Sucre always knew Monica was stubborn. Ever since they were younger, she always went for whatever she wanted and pursued it with determination. That was what made him admire her. And he was used to seeing her so bright with a large smile on her face. But since they met again after years, she was no longer the Moni he loves.

She acted like she was disgusted whenever he touched her and her face always had a familiar scowl. His heart thumped wildly in his chest at the unfamiliar feeling he was having when she asked him the question.

He could sense her slipping from his fingers. She was giving up on him, on them.

"I think it would be best if I resigned." She spoke stiffly and bit the insides of her cheeks. Sucre felt his heartbeat slow down, it was like a slow music as the sound pumped through his head.

"What the- why?" Sucre asked with furrowed brows and penetrating eyes. Monica ran her left hand down her hair.

"I don't want to have anything to do with you anymore. Please leave me and my daughter alone." She pleaded. Sucre reached her in a swift movement. He grabbed her shoulders.

"You can't resign. I will sue you!" Sucre grounded. His breathing became faster as he saw the nonchalant look in her eyes.

'Look at me. Just look into my eyes.' He begged internally, but didn't say it out as he panicked.

Monica on the other hand, looked at the broken button on Sucre's shirt and almost reached out to touch it, but stopped herself at the last second. His cologne was messing with her senses, so she tried to take a step back to reduce the distance between them.

But Sucre was holding her firmly.

"I don't care Mr. Ambrosia. Please don't come near me or Stephanie again. We were doing just fine before you barged into our lives." She gritted and pulled herself from his hold.

He didn't struggle to keep her in his hold this time. Monica's words were like a blow to him and his ego and he knew she was right. Monica started clearing her things. She would have to send in her resignation the next day.

"Don't go." Sucre muttered. It was low but the plea reverberated around every angle in the office.

What?

Had he just asked her not to go? Monica didn't allow the hint of sadness she heard in Sucre's tone stop her. She kept herself busy with packing her things. Maybe she would have to relocate to avoid him tracking her down again. Or go to Andrew's place for now.

Oh Andrew. She had a lot to tell her brother...she would tell him all that had happened since he left but for now, Monica needed to clear her head.

"I won't trouble you anymore...and I'll speak better. But you'll still get me my coffee every morning." Sucre grumbled.

"Promise?"

"Yes. I..I promise."

Monica bit on her lower lip. Working there wouldn't be easy, as he was her ex husband and they had a long history but since Sucre did say he wasn't going to trouble her anymore, maybe it would pay if she considered continuing her work there. Moreover, It would take a while for her to get the list of thriving and blooming companies and start another job application process.

"Why?" she raised a questioning brow. Sucre was hard headed. He only did things when there was profit for him.

"I just want us to start talking again." He stared at her without blinking. The gaze made her look away.

"That's not one of the things I should be doing with my hardheaded ex-husband." She scoffed. Sucre had the gall to look sad and hollow.

"Please. I'm trying here, just let's go back to talking normally."

"Fine. We'll be civil with each other. That's it."

"Wait, can we be friends?" He asked and when she gave him a look of incredulity, he heaved a deep sigh. "Please, okay? I just want to be on good terms with my daughter's mother. Can we at least be that way?"

Monica rolled her eyes. "You won't overstep your boundaries. You'll be respectful. You won't try to act possessive or jealous if I look at any other man because it is totally none of your business."

Sucre opened his mouth to protest and when she raised a brow, he sighed. "Okay. I accept I can be a bit protective, not possessive though.

Sucre nodded and left before he would change his mind and give in to his urges to bend her over her white desk.

Now he needed to think of an excuse to visit them and see his daughter.

Slowly, he would crawl back into her life and find out what went wrong between them.

*

Sucre's slowly making his intentions known.