ONE

Droplets gently hit the slightly fogged window of Oscar's room. He was too enveloped in his video-games to notice his mother walk into the room. She sighed, but he did every chore he was told to do, so she allowed him some game time to himself. Secretly, she just wished he would be like any normal kid: Play outside, make new friends, talk about how their day was when they get home from school. After all, he was the youngest child with one older sister and a single mother. Life was tough with two females in the house, but Oscar rarely noticed it.

He was addicted to his game. He loved it more than anything in the world. In fact, he could CREATE his own world when he plays. He could do anything he wanted, anytime he wanted to do it inside of a video-game. He could be an explorer, a hero, a villain, a farmer, a businessman, a S.W.A.T. member, a soldier, a knight, a king, anything he could imagine. It was his way out of the real world, where he couldn't possibly do the things he did in games. His sister suddenly kicked open the door.

" How did you not hear me? I've been knocking for the last half hour!" Wendy shouted.

" Hm? Oh, hey." Oscar pulled off his headset.

" It's 1 am, what are you doing?" Wendy asked in her pajamas.

" Uh... is it not obvious?" Oscar asked back, pointing to the game.

" God... you and your games. You know there's a whole world out there, don't you?" She pulled back his curtain.

" I mean, sure you'll have to do something tomorrow because it's night time, but hey! You should at least go outside... I know! How about you and my girlfriends go out with us to the mall tomorrow? Huh? You can spend some of your allowance." Wendy bribed.

" Everytime I go out with you guys you end up messing with me... but it would be nice to get away from my games-just for a bit. I guess so... But I've just got to level-"

" Don't wanna hear it! I'm too tired, and you should be, too. Get some rest, will ya?" Wendy shut his door behind her.

Oscar shut off his gaming system and looked outside. It was really dark, but he could tell it was still raining. A soft glow could be seen on someone's roof. Oscar squinted... it looked like a person. He rubbed his eyes and looked again. The figure was gone in the darkness. It must've been his imagination.

" Too many gaming hours... maybe I DO need a break." Oscar said to himself, and shut off his light.

He walked over to his bed and wrapped himself up in his blanket. The next morning, Oscar woke up and walked downstairs. He scratched at his messy hair as his mother put pancakes on his marble plate.

" Sleep well?" She asked, flipping a fresh pancake on the stove.

" Yeah... I think I'm gonna take a break from my games." Oscar said.

" Really? Are you feeling well?" His mom jokingly asked.

" He better be, we got a full day of walking at the mall for you, mister!" Wendy hopped into her seat, and began wolfing down her pancakes.

She ran back upstairs after finishing her meal and got dressed. Just before Oscar could take a bite from his breakfast, Wendy dragged him upstairs and made him get dressed. They went back downstairs, and Oscar attempted another bite of the most important meal of the day. Just as he grabbed his fork and pierced the first slice, Wendy grabbed him by his coat collar, and dashed out the door with him. His fork spun, and then clattered to the floor. Outside, a car honked loudly with 3 girls waiting inside. When Oscar stepped in, the girls looked back at Wendy.

" Who invited the kid again? I didn't plan any pranks this time." The driver smirked.

" Hush, Terry! My little bro just wants some time away from his occupation, that's all. I didn't force him this time." Wendy said.

" Technically, you did. I didn't even get a bite from my pancakes." Oscar's mouth watered at the thought of his mother's pancakes.

" Aww, poor thing. Here, have some muffins!" One girl pulled out a box full of muffins.

" Wow, Steph... you really are prepared for everything. Alright, let's hit the road!" Wendy shouted as Oscar quietly nibbled on his blueberry muffin.

They drove downtown to the local mall, and then all jumped out of the car. Oscar was last out, and followed after the girls. Inside the mall were various stores, but only 1 captured Oscar's attention: The Game Tower. Every game ever was sold there, and Oscar wanted to go so badly. He looked back at Wendy and her friends, who were conversating. Oscar thought to himself that he had his phone on his person, so why not wander around the mall by himself for a bit? He snuck off to the game center, and was in awe of all the new things they had on sale. Sadly enough, his allowance wasn't a lot. Especially not for the games he wanted. He rejoined the girls, and walked around with them for a bit. They mainly wanted to go to clothing and perfume stores, flirting with random guys in between. When it came time to leave, there was an overturned box at the entrance of the store that had not been there before. Oscar noticed when he approached that it moved backwards. He took the box off to see a small black kitten. It shivered, mud congealed in its fur and ribs showing. Oscar picked it up and looked into its crystal-like eyes.

" EW! Put it down! You don't even know where it's BEEN!" One of the girls said.

" Besides, mom wouldn't let you keep a pet." Wendy argued.

" Yeah... you're right." Oscar agreed.

The girls turned around, and Oscar quickly shoved the kitten in his jacket and zipped it up. When he got home, he rushed up to his room and let the kitten out. It staggered across the floor.

" I guess you need food first, don't you?" Oscar walked over to his mini fridge and pulled out a can of tuna he usually put on his sandwiches.

He pulled the tab and opened the can, then set it on the floor. The kitten slowly and cautiously walked up to the can and began eating. It purred lightly, eating half the can at record speed. Oscar smiled, and scratched it behind the ears. It jumped back and hissed at Oscar.

" Not close enough yet, huh?" Oscar stood up, and grabbed one of his old comforters.

He bundled it up into a small bed for the kitten, and laid it on the edge of the room. Then, he took a shower, and went to sleep.