Chapter 3: You're late!

Start from the beginning

Ryujin was sitting at her desk, tapping the desk impatiently, her fingers drumming in a relentless pattern. Hyunjin was late. What a surprise. Every once in a while Master Ailee would walk past and shoot her a worried look. She ignored the looks, because every second that past, her anger grew. As much as she hated the guy, she wanted to get a good mark on this project, considering Master Ailee had announced to the class that the project was worth close to half their mark for the term. Finally Hyunjin ran into the classroom completely out of breath.

"Sorry I'm late, I ran into Master Yunho and he wanted to run over something with me and he kept me for longer than I expected," Hyunjin apologized breathlessly when Master Ailee swooped down on him. She eyed him and than nodded. Hyujin smiled at her and than turned to Ryujin. Her expression told him everything that he needed to know. Uh-oh he thought as he approached her. This wasn't going to be pretty.

"You're late," Ryujin snapped at him as soon he was in earshot.

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious" Hyunjin shot back.

Ryujin folded her arms a sour look taking residence on her face, "don't mention it."

Hyunjin took the seat opposite her, "what are we doing?"

Ryujin rolled her eyes, "you can have three guesses."

Hyunjin raised his eyebrows, "three guesses? What are you? Trying to be nice?" he replied equally sarcastic.

Ryujin scoffed, "if I was trying to be nice I would have given you more than three guesses." Hyunjin shrugged, which irritated her even more, he seemed so calm and cool.

"But if you weren't trying to be nice why didn't you give me less than three guesses?" Hyunjin countered smartly and Ryujin just shrugged.

Hyunjin knew he had her there and he silently congratulated himself for keeping his cool during this argument. Ignoring Ryujin pointedly, he pulled the sheet with the outline of the assignment towards him and began to read.

Ryujin waited while he read, her fingers resuming their drumming. Every now and then Hyunjin would shot her an annoyed look, which would cause her to drum louder, she was enjoying the chance to get under his skin.

"Will you stop that!" The speed to which Hyunjin slammed his hand over hers stunned Ryujin so much she couldn't speak for few seconds.

"Sorry," Ryujin replied tartly prying his hand off hers they glared at each for a moment.

"Sure you are," he muttered as Ryujin resumed the drumming, Hyunjin kept his cool for a moment longer and then repeated his previous action.

"What!?" Ryujin exclaimed desperately trying to pull her hand away from his.

"Give up will you! I am trying to find out what we're meant to do and if you keep doing that we're never going to get it done okay?" Hyunjin asked patronizingly

"I'm impatient okay? And we will get it done, we have three weeks of this to look forward to," Ryujin snapped back still trying to remove her hand from under Hyunjin's.

"Yeah, don't remind me, but we're not going to get to the research part until you let me read this!" Hyunjin shot back, neither noticing the classroom had gone quiet or Master Ailee approaching them a disapproving look on her face.

"Will you let go of my hand!?" Ryujin half-yelled frustrated with the fact that he wouldn't let go of her hand.

"Shin Ryujin! Hwang Hyunjin!" Master Ailee snapped at them and their heads both snapped up.

It was only than that they realized how close their faces had become and that both were breathing a little too heavily from rage.

"Yes?" Ryujin asked as Hyunjin slowly let go of her hand.

"Outside, now!" the voice master snapped at them.

Ryujin didn't answer, she picked up her bag and stomped past Felix and Chaeryeong, who were watching their two best friends with open mouths, Hyunjin right behind her. She folded her arms and half-turned her body from Hyunjin as he pulled the door shut.

"You know this is your fault," Hyunjin said simply, wanting to get under her skin more than ever now.

Ryujin spun to face him, "how is it my fault? You're the one that wouldn't let go of my hand!" she exclaimed and Hyunjin shoved his hands into the pockets of the jeans he wore.

"You're the one that wouldn't stop tapping the desk."

"Oh my god, you are impossible!" Ryujin cried out throwing her hands into the air.

"I'm not as bad as you," Hyunjin replied as Master Ailee opened the door.

"Shin Ryujin, Hwang Hyunjun, instead of putting you on detention I'm going to add to your project, I want two book reports, one on 'Sense and Sensibility' and 'Pride and Prejudice' and a film review of the adaptation of 'Pride and Prejudice. Am I clear?" she snapped at the two elite seniors who kept on shooting the other hostile looks through out the instructions.

"Yes Master Ailee," Hyunjin mumbled.

"Yes Master Ailee," Ryujin said and nodded.

Master Ailee nodded, satisfied, as the bell rang. She turned back to dismiss the rest of the class, leaving the two in the hallway.

"Next time don't be late," Ryujin finally said as their class began to file out. Hyunjin opened his mouth to respond and turned to find her already swallowed up in the crowd. He ran a hand through his hair and blew out a breath as his friends approached him as he thought about the arguments that they had just had. He didn't know why but he was keeping score but he was and at the moment it stood at Shin Ryujin - two and Hwang Hyunjin - two, they hadn't gotten to finish their last argument.