"Oh we were looking for you!"

"Yeah, and I was looking at you"

"..." Weiying tilted his head, confused about the little girl's comment.

"You two kissing"

Weiying and Lanzhan both went fifty shades redder as they realised they had a witness to their act of love, and had they continued...

"I didn't know boys could kiss each oth-"

Weiying stuck his hand over the girl's mouth and looked at Lanzhan for help; an explanation that would please the girl.

In that moment, Lanzhan was rendered speechless too. What possibly could explain two men kissing each other on the grassland?

An accident?

Joking around?

Or the fact that they're married?

At that moment Lanzhan let out a small laugh, catching the attention of both Weiying and the girl's whose mouth he was still covering.

The thought of him and Weiying being married had brought him back to happier times when they weren't trying to stop a girl from revealing their relationship.

"Lanzhan, is this situation funny?"

Ignoring him, Lanzhan knelt down so he was on eye level with the girl and began telling her a tale...

"Once upon a time, many years before you were born there was a young and handsome cultivator who could shine light onto every situation. One day, he met a cultivator who just didn't find the same joys as he did in life. At first, they didn't get along: often bickering and fighting, all whilst at the other cultivator's home.

Yet, somewhere along those times of bickering and fighting, one of them found themselves liking the other a little more than they let on. It seemed like the feeling was mutual, getting along like siblings after, investigating mysterious events and going on night hunts.

However, one day, the young and handsome cultivator lost his abilities for cultivation to xian and his only solution was to turn towards another type of cultivation. This earned glares and rumours from everyone else, pushing him into dark and darker times."

The little girl seemed to calm down, immersed and curious as to what would happen next.

"Then the cultivator died"

She let out a small gasp, clearly not expecting that type of ending. By then, Weiying had also released his hand on her mouth, also fascinated in his husband's story that he was all too familiar with.

"This drove the other cultivator into a time of misery too, for thirteen years. Thirteen years later, though, the cultivator came back to life and they met again. This time, the other cultivator swore to never let the once handsome and young cultivator leave his side again. They had some ups, some downs but in the end, the once sullen and gloom cultivator confessed his feelings. The feelings were reciprocated during a moment of life and death."

The little girl's lit up face pasted with a smile was enough to make any adult smile.

"Are they happy now? Are they married? Do they have children?"

"Both of them were men"

She listened on in awe, seemingly unaffected by the new knowledge that they were both guys.

"The story is about you two, right?"

Both Weiying and Lanzhan went silent, not expecting the little girl to figure it out at all.

Lanzhan smiled softly, "Yea, that's the story between us", pointing to Weiying.

"The bit about turning to a darker kind of cultivation- isn't that the story of the Yiling Patriach?"

Weiying went a shade whiter, scared the little girl had figured something out and connected the dots.

"Yea" Lanzhan replied, unfazed.

"Oh don't worry, there's no way this guy", pointing at Weiying, "would be the Yiling Patriach."

Weiying's mouth was wide open, in disbelief at how insulting the girl had been, intentionally or not.

Before he could say anything, though, she began again, "I used to listen to stories of the Yiling Patriach all the time. I found him such a fascinating figure and my dream would be to meet him. Rumours say he is alive again and I would die to see a glimpse of him!"

Weiying glared at the girl, comically furious at how clueless she was and internally laughing at what her reaction would be if she knew he was the infamous Yiling Patriarch. Of course, no matter how many times he could try to tell her the truth, she would never believe him.

His heart sunk a little, thinking Mo Xuanyu, Mo Xuanyu, why, I don't even know if I should be grateful for your sacrifice or mad at your idiocy.

——————————
a/n: mo xuanyu is written twice on purpose bc i assumed this might be how weiying would think (idk they always do this in chinese dramas 🤣) but enjoy and l+c!