Visitors

CHAPTER 23

"Lady Wellington, you really must begin dressing! The two gentlemen will be arriving very soon and I'm sure you want to be presentable when they do," Ms. O'Kara comments.

"Goodness me! I lost track of the hour! You're quite right I do need to get cleaned up," I gasp.

"You and Liz go on, I'll have one of the girls finish up in here," she commands.

Liz and I rush out of the room and down the hallway. We arrive at my door panting at the journey.

"I have my work cut out for me today, don't I?" Liz giggles.

"What do you mean? Is it that bad?" I ask worriedly. I go in and head straight for the mirror.

My hair is a mess of fly-aways, my face is flushed, and I'm breathing heavily.
I have some smudges of dirt on my forehead and cheek. I have no idea where those came from. I'm also damp with perspiration.

I gawk in horror at my reflection. There's no way for me to be presentable in time!

Liz laughs behind me.

"Calm yourself. I'll have you back to perfection in no time. It is my job after all."

"I hope you can. How shall we begin?" I say.

"Let's get you out of this filthy dress and then go from there," she smiles.

- - - - -

An hour later I'm standing before the mirror again, but this time I'm smiling.

"Oh Liz, you're a miracle worker! Thank you so much!" I cheer.

"I am very good at my job. I've had plenty of practice," she teases.

"Well now I look like a proper lady. Thank you again. It's so strange, but I'm very nervous about this evening. What will be the topic of conversation? I can almost guarantee that these gentlemen will not discuss their affairs in my presence, but what else is there? Neither will be accompanied by a lady, I'm afraid I'll be quite bored," I huff.

"You just have to sit quietly and be admired," Liz giggles.

"Like a vase," I mutter.

Liz bursts with laughter and I send her the meanest scowl I can muster. This only makes her laugh harder. I can't help but to laugh with her.

"Quit making me laugh! Can't you see that I'm trying to be worried?" I titter.

"You'll have plenty of time for worry later. For the time being, we will be as foolish as possible!"

And that is exactly what we do. Liz always knows just what I need.

- - - - -

I pace around the front hall, making nervous circles in the carpet.
I'm not quite ready to see James again. At least it will be in the company of others. I wonder if he is still angry at me. I would understand if he was a bit cross, but I hope he has had time to understand why I just couldn't.

A plan forms. "Brilliant! How absolutely brilliant. That could work," I whisper. I peek around to be sure that no one has heard me talking to myself. Good, I'm alone.

Back to my brilliant plan. If I hold fast to my end of our bargain, James will be absolutely thrilled. So if I am on my very best behavior this evening, he will be softened to the point of understanding. It makes sense, I think. I will be meek and mild to the best of my abilities. I just hope our guests are not imbeciles, then I'd have to physically bite my tongue.

I look up as Ms. O'Kara enters.
"Lady Wellington," she curtseys.

"Have they arrived? Should we go out to meet them or wait here? Going out to meet them may be too assertive, but waiting here may come off as cold. What do you think?" I rattle off.

"Oh um," she stutters seeming startled by my sudden questions, "it is your decision to make, Lady Wellington. However, may I simply say that it is perfectly acceptable for a new bride to go and greet her husband. Expected even."

I hadn't considered that. Under other circumstances a new bride would be excited to see her husband after an absence. I wonder if James would appreciate that. Ms. O'Kara seems to be implying that he would.

Bailey, one of the stable boys, comes in and quietly announces James' arrival.

No time weigh my choices now. I'm just going to go and meet them and hope that Ms. O'Kara was, in fact, telling me that James would like that.

I look at Ms. O'Kara and silently ask if she's going to come out with me. She gives and encouraging nod. I take that as a yes. We quickly make our way through the large doors.

Stepping into the warm air, I see that the sun is just making its decent.

The carriage, pulled by four muscled horses, stops short a few meters away.

Mr. Banks senior opens the door and James steps out. He sees me and a range of emotions plays across his face. Confusion, surprise, and guilt? Perhaps for avoiding me. I shake my thoughts away and give a nervous smile and quick curtsey. The next gentleman is a long, thin man with a doleful face. I say long because he somehow doesn't seem tall. Then follows a man of average stature with an average face. The only noticeable thing is his clerical collar.

As I step forward to meet our two visitors another head appears in the little doorway. I'm only confused for a moment before I recognize that cheeky grin.

"Matthew!" I call excitedly, rushing to the carriage. He hops out and envelopes me in a big hug. I laugh when he lifts me off of the ground.

"How is my new sister?" he asks, "Is my grumpy brother treating you well?"

Suddenly remembering James and the two strangers, I release Matthew from my grips. I mentally scold myself for forgetting to be proper and mild.

"Yes, all is well. How are you? I didn't know you were coming. I'm so glad you're here," I smile.

"I am very good. Very good indeed. Especially now that I will be in your company for the entire evening. Ah yes, I'm sorry to come unannounced, it was a last minute decision," he says mock seriously.

"You are always welcome. Ms. O'Kara will be sure to have a place set for you," I say looking toward her. She nods before sending one of the housemaids to accomplish it.

"Oh yes. The ever so lovely Ms. O'Kara," Matthew says turning his attention to her.

I smile apologetically at the two men.

"Aleana these are my colleagues Oliver Preston and Reverend Liam Fisher," James introduces.

"Lady Wellington," Reverend Fisher bows.

"Lovely to finally meet you. Congratulations by the way," Mr. Preston smiles, referring to my marriage.

"It's a pleasure and thank you. Why don't we move inside? Would you gentlemen like anything to drink?"

"We'll take some scotch in my office, we have some things to discuss before dinner. It will only take half an hour. If you'll excuse us," James answers.

After they've gone inside I stand for just a few minutes more. I'm so pleased that Matthew has come. Now I know that dinner won't be boring. What shall I do with this half an hour though?
Why don't I learn how to set the table with the footmen?

I nod. Yes that's what I'll do. It never hurts to learn something new.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Don't worry I'm not giving up. I'm just a perfectionist and it'll probably be ages between updates bc I suck like that. I love this story though. And I'm most excited for the end and it's just the middle parts that are hard...