One Long Dance

CHAPTER 11

Upon entering the house I am greeted by Lady Brighton, Aleana's mother.

"There you are, James. I've been looking for you and Aleana. Have you seen her anywhere?" she questions as she gazes about.

"No madam, I have not seen her since dinner." Just as I finish stating that, Aleana walks into the room. She looks around before registering her mother and myself. When she locks eyes with me, I see hers darken, but only for a second. Then it is replaced by a tight smile and she makes her way over to us. I think back to our last encounter, I don't believe that I left her angry with me. If I remember correctly I am the one with reason to be upset. Could she know? No, I'm being paranoid. She simply hates me for being her fiancé.

"Aleana, where on earth have you been hiding? I've looked everywhere for you," the countess scolds.

Aleana hesitates, as if she's thinking about her reply before saying, "Oh mother! I was searching for you as well! We must have been chasing each other in circles. Next time I will know to just stand in one spot and wait for you to find me."

Her attitude seems odd. Is she lying?

"Very well then," Lady Brighton continues, "I think our guests, who are here to celebrate your engagement, would like to see you dance at least one dance together."

I raise my eyebrows in understanding.

"Goodness, of course we shall have a dance. I've spent so much time looking for you, that I've all but forgotten my fiancé," Aleana giggled, taking my arm in hers.

Looking down at her, somewhat surprised, I agreed and took her to the ball room. Not even waiting for the start of a new song, we joined the group of waltzing couples. Each of us deep in our own thoughts as we turned about the floor. I'm concerned, but I have no reason to be. My suspicions stirred as she looked up at me and smiled. She is up to something, I swear I see a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Are you having a pleasant evening?" she inquired.

"What is going on?" I questioned in reply.

Her eyebrows raised ever so slightly, and is that a smile playing at the corners if her mouth?

"What do mean?" she countered.

"Why are you being this way? You're not your usual self."

"I'm not sure that I follow," she cocked her head like a curious puppy.

Growing agitated I exclaimed, "You are being nice! You smiled at me!"

She giggled again. "It's common for women to smile at their fiancés. Would you prefer it if I didn't?"

"Yes! Well, no," I groaned, "you're scheming and I don't like it."

She stopped us from moving any further and removed herself from me. I looked at her expectantly, waiting for an explanation. She wasn't smiling anymore, but she didn't appear to be angry. I know all too well what she looks like when she's angry. She was serious.

"James, you and I are going to be married. I know it was as much your choice as it was mine, so I have come to realize that you aren't my enemy. I am trying to treat you as a fiancée should treat her future husband. I have promised myself this before, but I'm honestly keeping it this time. I will treat you with the respect that you deserve," she finished, replacing her hands in their respective positions.

We began dancing again as I considered this. That explains her strange behavior. It seems very coincidental though. She's watching me. I stare back at her. She seems very genuine. What reasons do I have to believe that she is lying? I don't know her very well. I decide that she is being sincere. That is wonderful for me, now I don't have to butter her up. She said she'd give me the respect I deserve. I take that to mean that she'll be cooperative and obey me when we're married. This could be easy after all. I must advance carefully now. This new compliant Aleana gives me hope, but this hope is as fragile as glass.

I give a charming smile. "Wonderful darling. I'm glad that you've come around. This will make things more pleasant."

"Oh certainly," she smiles.

We spin and twirl around the room. This Aleana is very agreeable, indeed.

"It will be lovely, I'm sure, to be your official wife." She remarked.

Official wife? What an odd way to phrase that. Isabelle used that same word. My hope begins to crack. It could be a coincidence, I try to tell myself.

"I may be wrong," she continues, "but you seem as though you would always bring home gifts. You probably spoil girls, don't you?"

"Well, I don't know about spoiling, but yes I often bring gifts," I stammer.

"I love new dresses," she proclaimed, "would you buy me a dress?"

"If that's what you want," I reply hoping, in vain, that this doesn't lead to where it seems to be headed.

"Maybe even two or three? Better yet, four new dresses!" She snapped.

I sigh in frustration. The peace was nice while it lasted.
"Samuel told you," I deadpanned.

"No, I heard you. You and your "mistress". We aren't even married yet!"

"Keep your voice down," I demanded.

She glares at me. "I heard your conversation with your brother too."

Oh no, this really couldn't get any worse.

"I have a proposition for you," she concluded.

I look at her again. "What is your proposition?" I inquire, suspicion evident in my tone.

"You want to control me, for whatever reason and I want freedom. Seemingly, these separate desires contradict each other, but I think we can have it both ways," she informs.

"How so?"

"As I have just demonstrated. I can be very agreeable in the public eye," I nod reminiscing, "and I am willing to do just that, if you agree to allow me my freedom. Meaning I can go and do as I please. Provided, of course, that it won't reflect badly on you."

"And if I don't agree?" I counter.

"Believe it or not, I hold back some when I'm with others. Assuredly, I can get much worse," she threatens.

"So if I relinquish any control that I might have as a husband, you'll pretend to be a sweet and mild girl and if I don't you'll be worse than you already are. That hardly seems like a fair deal."

"Take it or leave it," she states.

I mull over her ultimatum. If she gets any worse I'll lose my inheritance for sure. Putting pride aside, I accept her offer.

"Brilliant!" she grins. I knew she was scheming. "Oh and one more thing," she adds.

"What?" I sigh.

"You have to get rid of Isabelle. No mistresses. Not ever," she demands.

I cringe inwardly, Isabelle isn't going to take that very well. "Fine no problem."

She stops and pulls away.

"Wait," I say holding on to her, "one question for you."

She raises her eyebrow, "Okay?"

"How does this fit in with 'giving me the respect that I deserve' speech you made before? Did you mean any of that, or were you just building me up so that you could tear me down?"

She smiles. "I meant every word of it. I am going to try. I will give you the respect that you deserve. When you deserve it and only then."

I watch as she confidently saunters away. She is dangerous. I must admit though, I'm quite impressed at her intelligence.

~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's been so long. I can't say when the next one will be, but I'll try to make it sooner than later. Please excuse any typos or mistakes. :)