Chapter 7: Strider

Start from the beginning

Frodo paused before giving a name; "— Underhill, my name's Underhill." Frodo replied.

"Underhill. Yes..." the innkeeper mumbled.

"We're friends of Gandalf the Grey. Can you tell him we've arrived?" Frodo asked.

"Gandalf? Gandalf?" Mr. Butterbur questioned, "Oh yes! I remember: elderly chap, big gray beard, pointy hat... Not seen him for six months."

The hobbits stood shocked. They huddle close together so not to be overheard.

"What do we do now Mr. Frodo?" Sam asked.

The hobbits were seated at a table near the fire place so Y/n could sit by it to stay warm. She wasn't feeling too well since she fell in the water trying to escape the Black Riders. The atmosphere of the inn wasn't helping either. The air was dark and smoke-filled. Drunken men laughed raucously and several other men glanced suspiciously at the hobbits.

"Sam. He'll be here. He'll come." Frodo said trying to reassure his concerned companion.

Y/n sniffled and pulled her now dry cloak closer around her while she watched Frodo silently from her place at the fire. Her thoughts whirling as she recalled her embrace with Frodo and the whole time he held her hand. Her thoughts were interrupted however by Merry returning to sit at the table. She raised an eyebrow at him as he placed a huge stein of beer on the table.

"What is that?" Y/n laughed at Merry.

"This my friend, is a pint." Merry laughed triumphantly.

"It comes in pints? I'm getting one." Pippin exclaims and rushes to the bar.

"You had a whole half already!" Sam yelled after Pippin.

Sam turns back to his mug. Frodo's thoughts were also preoccupied by his female companion. Having her close and holding her hand felt so right to him but his thoughts were also interrupted by Sam who nudges Frodo and gestures to the corner of the room. A dark cloaked figure sits alone. His face invisible under his hood but his travel worn boots could be seen propped on top a stool. Both Frodo and Y/n glance at the man in the corner before Y/n gets up away from her seat by the fire and joins Frodo, Merry, and Sam at the table.

"That fellow's done nothin' but stare at you since we arrived." Sam said as Y/n sat down next to Frodo.

Frodo noticing Mr. Butterbur walking by he pulls him aside.

"Excuse me, that man in the corner, who is he?" Frodo asked.

"He's one of them rangers. Dangerous folk they are — wandering the wilds. What his right name is I've never heard, but around here, he's known as Strider." Mr. Butter said almost terrified and continues on his way to his other customers.

"Strider." Frodo mumbled.

The man known as Strider lights his pipe. Only the gleam of his eyes can be discerned above the glow of the burning leaf in the pipe. Y/n could sense the anxiety of her other companions but felt no fear towards Strider. Frodo starts to play with the Ring under the table. Faints whispers could be heard but Frodo was the only one to here them.

"Baggins. Baggins. Baggins. Baggins! Baggins!..."

"Baggins!" Pippin could be heard yelling from the bar.

Frodo snaps out of his little trance and whips his head around to look at Pippin.

"Sure I know a Baggins. He's over there, Frodo Baggins." Pippin proudly announced.

"He's my second cousin, once removed on his mother's side and my third cousin twice removed on his father's side, if you follow me." Pippin exclaims as the men gathered around him laugh at his remarks.