"i'm jason derulo, you're jordin sparks."

~•~

Forty three days.

There were only forty three days until Aliya and all her senior friends graduated, and she was excited, yet nervous.

It was hard to explain, because high school sucked and she really just wanted to get out, no matter how involved she was in extra curriculars. College, however, was completely different. She made lifelong friends here, she lived here at some point, and she made connections and networks that would work in her favor throughout her working career. This was the beginning of the end, or the end of the beginning.

She didn't know, and it was scary not knowing.

But the excitement of it all overshadowed her nervousness sometimes, because she knew there was more to life than this place. When she would go to law school and finally get into the career she wanted, she'd realize everything was worth it. She couldn't wait to be in an actual courtroom and be a voice for someone who didn't have one.

Currently, Aliya was leaving her last class of the day, dressed in standard attorney attire, a light purple dress shirt tucked into a fitted black skirt, dark pantyhose, and black heels. She spotted Mekhi on his phone a little ways down the hall and smiled, approaching him from the side.

"Hey," he smiled at her and bent down to kiss her lips, earning an even wider smile from her.

"Hello. Hold this," she gave him her bag and took her blazer off.

"Hot?"

"As shit," she complained, folding her blazer and draping it over her arm, "I love mock trials so it's never my nerves. It's just hot."

"Mmm. Are you going to change before we go?"

"Of course."

"How'd the trial go by the way?"

"I won," she shrugged a shoulder and grinned, "the gun was found in the neighbor's gun compartment ...but....no one has lived in that house for seventeen years and the car was planted there."

He scoffed. "No way."

"Yes, way!" she retorted, "I was reading up last night and looking at all the fake evidence and like...wow. My mind."

"It's so powerful, babe," he agreed, "you're going to the the best attorney."

"I hope so," she blushed.

"You will," he corrected, taking her hand and walking towards the exit, "period. What did Young Dolph say that one time—"

"Stop it," Aliya giggled, already knowing what he was going to say.

"I'm for real. 'She like to argue so I sent that bitch to law school.' That's a bar, bro."

"That's going to be my Instagram caption."

"Love it already."

"Aliyaaa!" she heard someone sing behind them. She turned around and came face to face with Darren, a political science major who was just in the same class as her. He was dressed in a black suit, with gold framed glasses on his face and a brown satchel on his shoulder.

"Hey, Renny," Aliya smiled at him, "you did so good!"

"Thank you, thank you. It's not lobbying, but I do enjoy a good, juicy story. How'd you know the gun was planted?"

"If you look past the stock photos she gave us, it's clear there were bloody footprints in the grass," she giggled, "and the car was registered under his name!"