21. Gryffindor V Ravenclaw

Začať od začiatku

"Yeah, reckon so," I said casually.

"Got plenty of special features, hasn't it?" said Malfoy, eyes glittering maliciously. "Shame it doesn't come with a parachute, in case you get too near a Dementor."

Crabbe and Goyle sniggered.

"Pity you can't attach an extra arm to yours, Malfoy," I said, "then it could catch the Snitch for you."

The Gryffindor team laughed loudly. Malfoy's pale eyes narrowed, and he stalked away.

At quarter to eleven, the Gryffindor Team made our way to the Quidditch field. In the locker room, I took off my black school robes, removed my wand from my pocket, and stuck it inside the t-shirt I was going to wear under my Quidditch robes.

"You know what we've got to do," said Wood as we prepared to leave the locker rooms, "if we lose this match, we're out of the running. Just- just fly like you did in practice yesterday, and we'll be okay!"

We walked out onto the field, deafening applause ringing in my ears.

"Mount your brooms...on my whistle...three...two...one..."

I kicked off into the air and the Firebolt zoomed higher and faster than any other broom.

I streaked past Issac in the opposite direction, gazing around for a glint of gold and noticing that Cho Chang was tailing me closely.

I urged the Firebolt forward, just as Issac succeeded in scoring the first goal of the match, and the Gryffindor end of the field went wild, I saw it, the Snitch was close to the ground, flitting near one of the barriers.

I dived, Cho saw what I was doing and tore after me, I was speeding up, dives were my speciality, I was ten feet away...

Then a Bludger appeared out of nowhere and in a few crucial seconds, I had lost the Snitch.

Soon, I had realised what Cho was doing, she was following me rather than searching for the Snitch herself, I suddenly formed a plan.

I dived again, and Cho, thinking I'd seen the Snitch, tried to follow, I pulled out of the dive very sharply. She hurtled downward, I rose fast as a bullet once more, and then saw it, the Snitch was glittering way above the field at the Ravenclaw end.

I accelerated, so did Cho.

"Oh!" screamed Cho, pointing.

Distracted, I looked down.

Three Dementors were looking up at me.

I didn't stop to think. Plunging a hand down the neck of my robes, I whipped out my wand and roared. "Expecto patronum!"

Something silver-white, something enormous, erupted from the end of my wand. I knew it had shot directly at the Dementors but didn't pause to watch, I stretched out the hand still grasping my wand and just managed to close my fingers over the small, struggling Snitch.

Madam Hooch's whistle sounded. Seconds later the crowd erupted in cheers and I was surrounded by the Gryffindor Team.

"That was quite some Patronus," said a voice in my ear.

I turned around to see Professor Lupin, who looked both shaken and pleased.

"The Dementors didn't affect me at all!" I said excitedly. "I didn't feel a thing!"

"That would be because they-er-weren't Dementors," said Professor Lupin, "come and see-"

He led me out of the crowd until we were able to see the edge of the field.

"You gave Mr Malfoy quite a fright," said Lupin.

I stared. Lying in a crumpled heap on the ground were Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Marcus Flint, all struggling to remove themselves from long, black, hooded robes. It looked as though Malfoy had been standing on Goyle's shoulders. Standing over them, with an expression of the utmost fury on her face, was Professor McGonagall.

"An unworthy trick!" she was shouting. "A low and cowardly attempt to sabotage the Gryffindor Seeker! Detention for all of you, and fifty points from Slytherin! I shall be speaking to Professor Dumbledore about this, make no mistake! Ah, here he comes now!"

I laughed at Malfoy's downfall and then I followed Ron and Harry, for there was a party that was going to happen in the Common Room.

Only one person wasn't joining in the festivities. Hermione, incredibly, was sitting in a corner, attempting to read an enormous book. I broke away from the crowd and went over to her.

"Did you even come to the match?" I asked her.

"Of course I did," said Hermione in a strangely high-pitched voice, "and I'm very glad we won, and I think you did really well, but I need to read this by Monday."

"So Hermione Granger, the brightest witch of her age, isn't going to comment on my successful Patronus charm, a spell way beyond O.W.Ls." I said, looking at the girl.

She looked up, her mouth wide open. "Y-your what?"

"So you didn't come to the match then."