Chapter 31: Worries

Back in the Western Region, two figures are standing side by side as they overseeing the soldiers take part in archery training. One is an exceptionally handsome looking man with a serious expression on his face while the other one is smiling as he watches the soldiers on the training ground.

Both of them knew that the one who will be returning is not General Hai Bojing but the infamous lazy bum, Fourth Prince Rong Yingming who will be bringing along his fiancee, Eldest Miss Hai Chunhua.

"I just cannot believe that His Highness has finally found the one that he loves enough to make him change his mind about marriage."

"Indeed what is more amazing is that his fiancee is the adopted sister of Bojing. Can you imagine that he will be the future older brother-in-law for His Highness?"

"Zheren... I would rather not. Eldest Miss Hai used to be the head maidservant of Bojing's wife. Her status has been elevated because both the Jia and Hai Residences are supporting her. Even Her Majesty, the Empress Dowager, is more than happy to bless the union."

Vice General You Zheren and Strategist Hai Ling look at each other with a rather puzzled look on each of their faces.

"Ling, for His Highness to be willing to come here is an enigma. But, for his fiancee to tag along is rather odd. Why? Old taitai allows her adopted daughter to follow His Highness even before marriage? That is so not her..."

Strategist Hai Ling smiles and says, "Zheren, there is another madam within the Hai Residence. As Eldest Miss Hai is her former maidservant, she might be the one who gave such an idea..."

"You are right... I have a bad feeling about this."

"Zheren, it might be a random assumption of mine but... I have a feeling that Bojing's wife intends to make both maidservants capture us."

Vice General You Zheren turns his head to look at one of his closest friends and says, "Goodness. Ling, those two captives wanted us to join them in misery too?"

Strategist Hai Ling laughs as he put his arm on Vice General You Zheren's shoulder and says, "It will not harm either of us to check those maidservants out. If the Fourth Prince agreed to make one of them as his future princess, the others might not be that ordinary either. For a mere maidservant managed to capture a prince's heart is not an easy feat."

Vice General You Zheren smirks before he added, "Or, they are the type of woman who is willing to do anything to enter the high society. A maid is not a fine bred of a lady. They are penniless and worthless. Even being a concubine is  more than enough for them."

Strategist Hai Ling coughs before he says, "Zheren... The birth mother of His Highness was a servant too. And, his future princess was one too. Refrain from saying such things in front of them. You have to remember that they are dear to Bojing's wife and she is now with a child... If anything bad happens, he will skin both of us alive. His Highness will also not let us live another day."

Suddenly, a soldier runs towards them and says, "Vice General. Lord Hai. An eagle messenger has just arrived. It brings a letter from General Hai."

Strategist Hai Ling smiles and says, "It seems like my cousin knows that we are not loving the arrangement made by him and His Majesty."

Vice General You Zheren chuckles before he says, "Read it."

The soldier who is still kneeling on the ground unroll a piece of small paper before he reads, "Greetings, Vice General You and Strategist Hai. It has been a while since this General left the camp but with the two of you there, this General trust that everything is just fine. By now, both of you must have known that my wife is with a child and this General do not wish to leave her. But, with His Majesty's consent, he has ordered younger imperial brother, Fourth Prince Rong, to temporarily take over my post at the camp. My adopted sister will also be accompanying him along with her two maidservants. These young ladies are not that fussy and do not need to live in luxury while they are there. Basic necessities are more than enough for them. And, please make sure that the Fourth Prince is not making any funny business towards my adopted sister. As for her maidservants, treat them well. Especially you, You Zheren. They will not take any bullshit from either of you. There is no need to write back to this General as I am busy."