Chapter 26: Matchmaking frenzy

When Forth Prince Rong Yingming left, Hai Chunhua walks with him to the entrance door. Both are talking casually with one another with Madam Li Lanying watches the pair from afar with a smile on her lips.

"Tang Shu, look at them. Such a good pair. This old woman does hope that His Highness is serious when he said that he intends to live nearby once he is married to Hua'er."

Tang momo smiles and says, "Madam, the young ones have all the time in the world to figure themselves out. You still have this old servant by your side."

Madam Li Lanying sadly smiles as she turns to look at her longtime and loyal maidservant, Tang Shu, who has been by her side ever since her younger days. Both of them literally grow up together. When she married the late General Hai, Tang Shu followed her to Hai Residence to continue to serve her and then assisted her in taking care of her son, General Hai Bojing.

Tang Shu never marries. She should have been if that war did not happen where not only her late husband had been killed. The man that Tang Shu loves dearly died too. Vice General Yong died after he valiantly fought the enemies to his last breath in order to protect her heavily injured husband. She lost her husband then but she is considered lucky as she has her son by her side. But Tang Shu lost the man that she loves hence, she decided to focus solely on being a maidservant.

Both of them are considered as lonely old women who have nothing better to do than to observe the younger generations. With her daughter-in-law confirmed to be pregnant, both of them are waiting for the day that an heir or heiress will be born in this rather lonely residence.

"Tang Shu, once Huian has given birth, this place will be filled with laughter... If only the old General and Vice General Yong are still with us. If they are alive, you will not end up as an old maid serving this widow."

Tang momo smiles and gently pats on Mada Li Lanying's hand, "Madam, I am fated to be by your side forever. This old servant is fine with that. After all, I considered all these young maidservants as my own daughters."

"Speaking of that... I have heard they complained that you are being too strict with them. Tang Shu, you are such an evil stepmother."

Tang momo laughs and further says, "After all, I have gained a good younger sister when Young Madam Jia sent a maidservant for you. Yuhe is not only diligent but she is good in medicinal matters as well. These days, we no longer need to call of a physician whenever any one of us is unwell."

"Except for Huian..."

Tang momo laughs and says, "Well... General Hai is obviously worried about her health."

"Worried? He is obviously too much. Huian looks troubled whenever he made a fuss even for a small matter."

The new maidservant, Yuhe, comes in as she carries a tray in her hands, "Madam, I have prepared a herb concoction for you. Please drink it before it gets cold. Older sister Tang, I have prepared a bowl for you as well."

"Look at her Tang Shu, such a good woman. Too bad that both of you are not married yet. In all honesty, Tang Shu, you are the same age as me and still looking good. Yuhe is only 35-year old, she too still eligible for marriage."

Tang momo shakes her head, "Madam, this old servant is already 43-year old. Marriage is no longer what I have in mind. Though, we cannot say the same when it comes to Yuhe."

"Tang momo... If Yuhe is not mistaken, Steward Hao older than you by a year and is a widow himself. Though he has a daughter, his daughter already moved to another District with her husband. He is still a robust-looking man."

Madam Li Lanying claps her hands and says, "Yuhe is right! Steward Hao is a former soldier. He only worked as a servant when he has suffered grave injuries 27 years ago. Tang Shu, he is a good man and not bad looking as well. Both of you can accompany each other in old age. His daughter, Hao Wan, has been personally raised by him when his late wife died during childbirth. Hao Wan knows you as well. She will not go against it."