Chapter 8 - Revelations

You were still at the other end of the block when you spotted the two men waiting for you outside your shop. You clenched your teeth together and worked a muscle in your jaw. As pretty as they might be, you were beyond irritated with them. This all would have been much simpler had they just talked to you. From what you gathered, communication wasn't a strength of anyone in the family.

"Hello, boys," you announced while you were still a small way down the block.

Both men straightened immediately and turned to face you. They both offered smiles that did nothing to mask the worry in their eyes. You gave them a tight smile in return and stepped past them to unlock the door. "So, brothers, huh?"

Silence stretched until the three of you were in your store with the door closed behind you.

"Where did you learn this information?" Elijah's tone was cautious, concerned and you rolled your eyes before turning to face him.

"You really shouldn't be talking to anyone about us, love. It's not safe," Klaus added. A deep furrow had formed between his brows.

You sighed. "I literally know almost no one in this town. And I'm not about to ask a complete stranger for their opinion on my love life. I talked to Cami and Marcel. That's it."

Some of the tension flowed from both men. You turned your gaze on the elder brother. "So that makes you what? Vampire?"

Elijah frowned as he looked between you and his brother. "Marcel would not have revealed that information. How exactly did the two of you meet?"

Klaus grinned. "I saved the damsel, brother."

You shook your head. "Yes, very heroic. And then he discovered the damsel couldn't be compelled and followed her home." You turned toward the back room and motioned for them to follow you. "Coffee, bourbon, water? Those are about the only options on hand right now."

"It's not even noon," Elijah felt the need to point out.

"The time of day does not negate the necessity for a stiff drink, Elijah." Gods help him if he tried to get between you and your bourbon right now. "And that doesn't answer the question. Klaus?"

"Bourbon would be lovely." There was a hint of laughter in his voice. You were so pleased you could entertain him.

You huffed out a breath and pinched the bridge of your nose. You needed to get your temper under control. Perhaps a little calming essence in your drink wouldn't be a bad idea. You took the stairs to the upper level two at a time. The work up here had been finished earlier in the week and you had since turned it into a large sitting room. An oversized sofa and chairs took up a good chunk of the floor space. The remaining area was filled with plants of every shape and size. Including a few that weren't exactly native so to speak though they were well hidden amongst the others as to not stand out.

"Have a seat," you instructed and went over to pour drinks for all three of you. Keeping your back turned to them, you pulled the vial of pale blue liquid from the drawer and added a bit to your glass. You hesitated as you went to close it up and added some to both of their glasses as well. You could all do with a bit of calming you thought.

You tapped the side of each glass and smiled as the liquid stirred itself before settling as if nothing had happened. You handed a glass to each of the men before grabbing your own and sitting in one of the chairs. You sipped at your drink and closed your eyes as the warmth of the essence settled into your chest. You felt better already.

"This is superb. What brand is this?" Klaus asked as he examined the contents of the glass.

You pressed your lips together to hold back the laugh you were so tempted to release. "I have no idea. It was in a decanter in my grandfather's office."