Chapter 4: New Orleans at Night

The two of you laughed and talked through dinner. The food was exceptional though you had expected nothing less in New Orleans. Several times you caught Elijah just watching you. Every time you mentioned it he'd simply shake his head and return to eating or talking. His soft smile remained on his face through the entire meal.

Topics remained on hobbies and interests or the occasional tale plucked from your life. Neither of you steered the conversation toward deeper topics for which you were relieved. There was time enough for that later. Right now, you preferred to enjoy the company of your soulmate without everything else getting in the way. You couldn't shake the feeling that both of you were dancing around things that needed to be discussed sooner rather than later.

Despite that, the meal ended far too quickly for your liking. As you stepped outside, Elijah took your hand in his and ran his thumb across your skin. "Would you care to go for a walk?"

You smiled. Apparently, he wasn't ready for the night to end either. "I would love that."

He kept hold of your hand and turned you in the opposite direction from your home. The two of you continued to carry on idle conversation interspersed with long periods of silence where you just enjoyed each other's company as you strolled. "Provided there are no festivals going on, this really is the best way to see the city."

You glanced over with raised brows not 100% sure what he meant.

His smile widened. "New Orleans is at her best on a peaceful night. And the company helps."

You huffed a laugh. "Every single person that I told I was moving here advised me not to walk around New Orleans at night. Especially the Quarter. And here you are saying it's the only way to see the city."

"Nothing will bother you as long as you're with me. It wouldn't dare." While his tone was playful the serious undertone didn't escape your notice. Neither did the fact he said 'nothing' instead of 'no one'.

You pressed against his side and he released your hand to place his arm around your shoulder. He held you more firmly against him. "How long have you lived in New Orleans, Elijah?"

He hummed. "Seems like centuries sometimes. We lived here sometime ago and have only recently returned. While somethings have changed, at her heart New Orleans remains the same."

"That's the second time you've called this city a her."

"Indeed. Perhaps it's the sensuality of the city that makes me see it that way. I always have."

The silence stretched until you spoke. "Well, that conversation took a turn I wasn't expecting."

Elijah laughed and rubbed his hand along your upper arm as he pulled you to a stop. It was only then you realized you were stood in front of your house. He dropped his arm and you turned to face him. "I had a wonderful time. Thank you."

"As did I, sweet Y/N. As predicted, you were so much more than I expected."

Your smile widened with his compliment. This man would be good for your self-confidence, that was for certain. "Would you like to come in for a drink?"

His smile went crooked as one side kicked up higher than the other. He reached out and tucked a piece of hair behind your ear. "I would like nothing better. However, I believe I should decline."

He cupped your cheek and you leaned into his touch, completely unable to keep the disappointment from your face.

"Our time will come soon enough," he assured you before leaning forward and pressing a soft, swift kiss to your lips. He only pulled back a bit to look you over before kissing you again. This time it was full of passion and want and something sweeter. As the two of you fed at each other's lips you never wanted it to end.