Chapter 19

Day 14 February 18, 2019 7:30am

Remy woke up and glanced around the shelter for Sarah, but she was nowhere to be found. "Ate?" She called out to her. "Dito, Remy," Sarah answered outside their shelter. Remy got up. Her injuries seemed to bother her more and more as each day passed. When she got out, she was surprised to see Sarah submerged onto the stream. "Ate," she said as she made her way towards her. Sarah looked back at her and forced a smile. "Aga mo naligo?" Remy asked. "Ang sakit ng katawan ko sobra, Remy. Ewan ko bakit. Dito muna ako, gagawin kong ice bath tong tubig habang malamig pa," Sarah explained while her voice shivered because of the cold water. "I'll join you," Remy said then she waded onto the water. "Sakit din katawan mo?" Sarah asked. Remy nodded. "I think the longer we stay here, the more it hurts sa umaga when I wake up," she admitted. Sarah swallowed. She looked at Remy worriedly. "Akala ko ako lang," she said. Remy looked at her worriedly this time. "You think meron tayong internal injuries?" She asked. Sarah nodded. "Lalo ka na, lamog lamog yang likod mo, imposibleng wala kang internal injuries," she answered. Then she looked at Remy with deep concern. Sarah watched as Remy submerged her body slowly and carefully into the stream. "Parang mas in pain ka ata ngayon kesa the past few days," she said worriedly. "Parang nga ate eh," Remy replied. "Ano kaya pwede nating gawin para ma-rescue na tayo? Baka hindi ka magtagal nyan eh," Sarah said as she frowned. "Di yan ate, eto naman patay kaagad inisip sakin eh," Remy replied again. She closed her eyes while she allowed the cold water to soothe her aching body. "I can stay here all day," she said, her teeth were chattering from being cold. "Ako din," Sarah said, but she couldn't keep her eyes off of Remy. It's been two weeks since they've been stuck on that island, Sarah thought that was too long of a time to not get any of their injuries checked out by a doctor. "Remy," she called out to her. Remy opened her eyes and took a deep breath as her body trembled from the cold. "Magsasabi ka kapag may iba ka pang nararamdaman ha," Sarah requested. Remy nodded. Within a few minutes, Sarah noticed that Remy was falling asleep on the water. "Psst," she called out to her again. Remy opened her eyes sleepily. "Tara na? Nakaka-tulog ka na dyan sa tubig oh. Parang pagod na pagod ka yata, mahaba haba naman tulog natin kagabi ah," Sarah said. She stared at Remy worriedly again. "May hindi ka ata sinasabi nanaman eh," she said. "I'm just really tired today, ate. The injuries hurting this bad is also exhausting me," Remy admitted. Sarah's eyebrows met. She frowned as she looked at her friend. "So masakit na masakit nga," she said. Remy looked at her and nodded. "Halika na, magpahinga ka na dun sa shelter. Ako na kukuha ng pagkain mo," Sarah nodded towards Remy, but Remy shook her head in response. "Ayoko kumain ate," she said. Sarah's eyebrows met even more. She knew it was something serious if Remy had lost her appetite. "Remy, dyan ka babagsak kapag hindi ka kumain. Kelangan mo subukan sumubo ng kahit konti. Hindi ko hahayaan na wala kang kain. Sinasabi ko sayo, Remy. Yan ang magpapabagsak sayo," Sarah said nervously. Remy took a deep breath. She had been nauseous the moment she woke up, but she didn't want to disappoint Sarah or make her worry even more. "I'll eat," she said even though the thought of food made her want to vomit.

After getting changed into dry clothing, Sarah peeked towards the shelter. Remy was curled up on her side. Sarah immediately knew there was something wrong with her. "Remy?" She said to her while she crawled by her side. "Huy," she said. Then she frowned when she saw Remy crying. "Huy," she said again. She rubbed Remy's shoulder trying not to panic. "Ano nangyayari?" She asked as she kept her hand on Remy's shoulder. Remy shook her head. "Masakit eh, may pain ka, san ba Remy?" Sarah asked worriedly. Remy shook her head again. "Remy, hindi mo pwedeng itago lang sakin yan. San ba kasi eh, umiiyak ka na oh, hindi mo na kaya, sabihin mo sakin, please naman oh," Sarah begged. Remy continued to cry. Sarah didn't know what to do. She held Remy's forehead then her neck to check if she had any fever, but her temperature was normal. Sarah swallowed. "Remy, please naman mag-sabi ka oh," she said. "I'm just in a lot of pain ate," Remy finally admitted. She choked on her words as she held her stomach. "Remy," Sarah said, then she started to cry. "Saan? Ha, Remy? Saan yung masakit?" She asked. "Everywhere," Remy answered. Sarah cried even harder this time. She felt hopeless as she watched her friend in excruciating pain. "Ano pwede ko gawin ha, Remy? Ano pwede ko gawin para makatulong sayo?" She asked. She was desperate to comfort her, but she didn't know how. Remy shook her head. "I don't know," she answered. Tears began to wet the side of her face and into her hair. Sarah closed her eyes and said a quick prayer. Then she held on to Remy while she tried to think of what to do. "San yung pinakamasakit, Remy?" She asked. Remy pointed to her stomach and her back. Sarah closed her eyes again, then she wept. "Rate mo from one to ten gano kasakit," she said. "Ten, ten ten," Remy said while she cried. "Remy," Sarah cried with her. Then she got up and went outside the shelter to get some air. She bent down and started sobbing. "Lord, please. Kung may naghahanap pa samin ngayon, dalhin nyo na po sila dito. Di na kaya ni Remy yung injuries nya. Ayoko pong umabot na mamatay na lang sya dito sa island and mag-isa na lang ako. Ayoko pong may mangyaring masama sa kahit na sino saming dalawa. Lord, please dalhin nyo na po yung mga rescuers dito. Kelangan na kelangan na namin sya. Kelangan na kelangan na sya ni Remy," Sarah begged the Lord. She looked around the area, trying to think of ways to help Remy, then she went back inside the shelter. She paused as she watched Remy taking deep breaths. "Remy," she said. Then she immediately went over to her friend. "Kaya pa, Remy? Ha? Kaya pa?" She asked. Remy had her eyes closed. "Namumutla ka, Remy," Sarah said. She looked at her friend worriedly. "Ikukuha kita ng tubig ha, inumin mo," she said. Then she looked at Remy before she went and got one of their mason jars that was already filled with drinking water. "Inumin mo toh oh," she said as she opened the lid. Remy shook her head. "Remy," she said. "Kelangan mo uminom nito, kagabi pa yung inom mo ng tubig. Try mo lang baka makatulong," Sarah tried to convince her, but Remy had her eyes closed while she shook her head. "Pwede ko check yung likod mo?" Sarah asked. "Ate," Remy opened her eyes a little. Then she swallowed as she looked at Sarah. Her eyes were red from crying, but her whole face was pale as white. "Hayaan mo na lang muna ako, ate. Ayoko muna magpagalaw, please. I'm sorry," she said. Her face showed pain the whole time. Sarah swallowed and nodded. She didn't know what to do to help with Remy's pain. "Go find something to eat. Kain ka na," Remy said. Then she closed her eyes again. Sarah shook her head. Her appetite was long gone. She felt wrong to eat while her friend suffers in pain, so Sarah laid back down right next to Remy. She wanted to hug her for comfort, but she knew Remy didn't want to be touched at the moment. Sarah turned to the side to face Remy even though Remy's back was against her. Then she closed her eyes.