Epilogue: Just Live Your Life, And I'll Live Mine

Epilogue:

Just Live Your Life, And I'll Live Mine.

Deva watched Julian for a whole week in the hospital. He didn't wake up, and that was because of the trauma caused by his wound, one of the doctors had explained to Deva. She'd nodded as if she'd understood, but actually didn't. Nothing about medicine ever did make sense to her. Most days, Deva would sit beside Julian's chair, talk about herself, her life before the twitch and how she hated it; she'd been an office woman, living off of small paychecks and scarcely any food.

Through it all, Deva wondered what Julian's life was like. Who he'd been, what he'd done. A sigh left her lips as she twirled her fingers around a stray lock of Julian's auburn hair. She looked at his eyes and remembered the way he'd looked at her with his grey eyes, that warm smile lighting up his face... just before he fell. A single tear rolled down her face, just as a woman in scrubs walked into the room. "Miss? I'm sorry, but visiting hours are over." Deva nodded and gathered her things, looking down at Julian one more time. She rubbed away the tear on her face and then leaned down to press a gentle kiss against Julian's frozen lips.

"Bye," she whispered, walking out the room, things in hand.

The Next Day...

"What do you mean he's not here? He was in his room, asleep, yesterday when I left!" Deva felt... devastated. She clutched at her bag, almost past her melting point as she glared down at the nurse.

The nurse did not falter when she said, "He left last night, maybe around ten. He left a message for a girl named Deva... I assume you're her?" Deva nodded eagerly, ready for the message. "Here you go." Deva snatched at the blue note card, but before she could read it, the nurse laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Honey, don't worry, ok? He's not worth it." Deva felt the need to ask what that meant but instead pored over the note.

Deva, we can't be together. You and me... it's obvious that we'll be at each others throats soon if we stay together. I had to leave. Don't bother looking for me. Just live your life, and I'll live mine.

Signed, Julian Carmichael

Deva stood there, frozen. The note meant two things. One; they weren't compatible as a couple.

And two:

If either of them stayed around the other too long, the virus would act as it had in the mansion and have one kill the other... and then the both of them would be dead. Even so, tears fell down her face. Deva felt betrayed, abandoned. She'd practically given her life to Julian, always sticking to him, never leaving him after that incident... never being able to be without him. But now... now she was alone, now she'd been abandoned.

Now, she'd been hollowed.