for harper's sandwiches

yes i really do have all these names memorized. also the articles about MRD are super cool!! i recommend!

also they live in a town called lincoln, which i know exists, but this one is made up lol.

unedited

-

"Not really based on this unit but recently a fossil was discovered outside Ethiopia. Did anyone see this?"

My hand immediately goes up. I'm not trying to look like Hermione from Harry Potter but I saw this and read some articles on it.

"What do you know about it Reid?"

"MRD is a skull found just outside Ethiopia. It's thought to be an Australopithecus Anamensis, related to Lucy, the Australopithecus Arfarensis. Approximately four million years old."

"That is right," Mr. Kavakowksi says. "Lucy, also, was found near Ethiopia back in nineteen seventy four. Anyway, just thought I'd bring that up."

"Today is the write up for the lab you did in your groups yesterday. You can sit with your group just don't be noisy. Labs are due tonight online by eleven fifty nine." Everyone nods their heads. "Okay. Get started."

"Next week is Halloween already," Tori says as the chatter starts up and everyone moves around. "I can't believe it."

"Same. Not that I'm going to leave me house though."

"Yeah. And this school has no school spirit so no one dresses up. You're new to the town right?"

"Yes?" I asked confused by the question.

"Okay well there's this festival kind of thing that happens every weekend before halloween. It's going on tonight till Sunday if you want to go one day. It's just corn mazes, pumpkin picking, snacks and some other things."

"Sure," I say.

"The Lincoln Harvest Festival."

Thunder rumbles loudly and everyone looks out the window. "I don't recommend tonight," I say as the rain pounds down hard on the glass.

Tori and I grab our binders before reluctantly standing up and moving to sit with Ansel and Carson.

"You're name without the s is Anel," Carson snickers to Ansel. Ansel rolls his eyes.

"Okay, Caron."

"You two are brainless I swear," Tori mutters.

I sit down on a stool and go on my phone. I'm almost done the lab and would rather finish at home.

I text Stacey, who I met a couple weeks ago by now. She's cool. Definitely has a crush on Leah though.

The period is boring and none of us really talk to each other. At lunch I decide to sit out on the bleachers. Leah and Val took an Uber to Starbucks and Ty is sat with all the other boys who play soccer.

Ten minutes into break I see Ansel walk onto the field and practice shooting. I watch out of boredom and eat a sandwich Harper made me.

I just sit there and think while I watch him. I don't entirely hate him. He's an absolute jerk and can go fuck himself but hes good looking and good at soccer. Annoying him is a fun pass time as well.

I still can't imagine him not an only child. Did he say he had a little sister? I think so.

He noticed me a while ago so every time he scores I clap and cheer to annoy him.

Eventually he walks up to the bleacher, soccer ball between his hip and arm.

"Do you have nothing better to do?" He asks.