White Tulips

The wind blew harshly causing the heavy snow to slap her cheeks wickedly and without mercy. It was too cold and she was in pain but Aurora needed to do this. Her body felt numb which made her look down each second to make sure the flowers she had bought still rested within her grasp. They were now covered in snow yet some petals broke free from their hiding place and waved gently at Aurora. It brought a smile to her face, it was nice to see some colour in the gloom of January. After Christmas and New Years everything became darker, there was nothing to celebrate therefore no one could distract themselves from the cold.

The cemetery was silent, all that could be heard was the crunch of Aurora's boots disturbing the snow. Everyone must of had more wits about them and chose to avoid it on a day like this but no Aurora was different, her wits had met their end. She followed the path all the way to the opposite end of the cemetery, it was a long walk, one she knew by heart. Half a year had passed since her last visit, Aurora had thrown herself deep into the family business and every time she had promised to come, she gave herself ridiculous reasons not to. It wasn't that she didn't want to but she had found herself here too much to the point it effected everyday life. At the beginning Aurora would spend hours on end until the sun went down and she had been told to leave, which caused her to become aggressive with the innocent.

Finally reaching the familiar grave Aurora lowered herself to sit on her heels. Pushing the snow aside, she pulled out the dead flowers that rested underneath and threw them onto the path.
"Hey Bill, Sorry I'm late things at home have been hectic I hope you understand" Aurora began smiling apologetically at the headstones as she placed the new flowers down underneath it "those dead flowers were mine which means your family have yet to come back"

A week after the accident Aurora had watched Bill's funeral from afar, too afraid to pay her respects in case, she hadn't wanted to seem intrusive. It had been the first and last time she had seen Bill's family visit, they had laid him to rest and vanished. It was peculiar but everyone grieved in different ways, maybe it was too hard for them to visit. Aurora tried not to be bitter, yet she did find it unfair that Bill only had her, a girl he had met once.

"Did you have a good Christmas Bill? Me and me family finally managed to get through one without arguing, imagine that. Then we all went travelling through the North, Dad needed a break you see, we all did. It was harder for me, being the youngest I haven't been brought up in the Gypsy way of life like the others, my parents had left the road by the time I was born but I tried for me Dad" Aurora giggled trying to keep her tears at bay, she wouldn't cry anymore today.

"You're still in my head each night Bill, I really wish you would climb off the tracks so when can talk. Maybe I can help this time. Sorry but this is only a short visit, the office needs me but I'll be back, sooner this time, promise"
Brushing her fingers over his name Aurora sighed before standing up and slowly walking away, only looking back once and shaking her head. Perhaps Bill would let her rest for a few nights now she had visit him. She hoped he was in a good place now but maybe he was lonely and Aurora was the only person he could speak to.

"Fookin again love! Always bloody soakin' and cold" John called out with a frown as Aurora walked into the family office building.
"Do you ever stop swearing John?" Aurora laughed hanging her coat by the door before wrapping her arms around herself.
"Sweetheart, our John has the mouth of a fookin sailor!" Arthur shouted taking John's head under his arm and playfully punching him in the stomach.
"Can we get back to business boys? The lady can wait for you to impress her"
Following the voice Aurora saw Tommy leaned over a table, messing up papers as his eyes scanned through them. He hadn't looked at her once, not even when she first walked in. It was a strange feeling not to have his eyes burning holes into her face.

"M'already impressed gentlemen, well by you two anyway" Aurora shot out with a smirk as the two brothers broke into laughter.
Turning her head to look under her lashes, Aurora saw Tommy clench his jaw and glance at her.
"Oh I didn't see you there Mr Shelby, is my Dad in his office?" Aurora gasped placing a hand on her heart mockingly, her smile growing wider the more he glared at her.
"Apology accepted Miss Hayes and yes your Dad is in" Tommy muttered dismissively looking back down at his papers like she wasn't worth his time.
It was then she realised, no one could play Tommy Shelby at his own game and feeling defeated Aurora nodded her head and walked in the direction of her Dad's office.

"Tom go easy on the girl, you only just met her"
Aurora smiled, Arthur wasn't a very good whisperer. She was surprised he had defended her from his own brother.
"Look Arthur if you want to go play cat and mouse with her then fuckin' do it but I have more important things going on"
Aurora scoffed at Tommy's words, he was the one who had started this 'game' not her. In fact it was him who was adamant on getting under her skin to pry information from her to what cause she had no idea. She couldn't see him but she could hear the way his knuckles cracked as he leaned over the table, she could feel his glare directly aimed at Arthur's face. Unlike her, Aurora imagined Arthur was unbothered by his brothers overwhelming shows of authority.

"Dad, what business are we doing with the Peaky Blinders?" Aurora questioned as soon as she walked through the office door.
"Trade, amongst other things" William grunted throwing his glasses down on his desk and looking at his daughter expectantly.
"What are these other things?"
Aurora was going to press him until she had answers, she'd had enough of all this men talk, she wasn't here to compare cock sizes, she was here to help the business.
"Other things Aurora, just other things! Sign these letters and then you can go, I'll be outside!" Her Dad wasn't impressed and giving her his deadliest look he stormed from his chair, knocking her slightly as he went past.
"Dad...."
"No Aurora! You're too god damn nosey!"

Aurora's bottom lip bubbled, tears stung her eyes.
She said she wouldn't do this but her Dads anger had always deeply upset her. She hated fighting and she especially hated being the cause.
Walking over to her Dads desk, Aurora sat down and with shaking hands picked up a pen. She didn't even look at the forms as she sighed them, she just wanted to go. It was obvious working here was going to work, maybe it was time to quit and do something else.
Unable to take the amount of emotions building up inside her, Aurora crashed her head down on the desk and wept silently.

Suddenly the sound of a glass hitting the desk made Aurora jump back in her seat. In front of her stood Tommy who nodded down towards where he had placed a drink.
Was it for her?
Cautiously reaching over she slowly grabbed the glass and brought it towards her, not breaking eye contact with him once.
"Scotch or Irish?" Aurora sniffled feeling extremely vulnerable and weary as his blue crystals took in her tears.
"Irish" Tommy grumbled, turning away before he gave into his urges and reached out to gently brush the offending tears away. This girl was doing something to him and he greatly disliked it, it was time to go home, back to Birmingham and away from the little mouse.

"Thank you Thomas"

It was faint but he had heard it as he exited the office. Aurora had finally said his name, no Mr Shelby but Thomas. He liked the way it sounded on her lips, it caressed his ears and caused a sensual shiver to run through his body. Maybe this cat and mouse game was exactly what he needed, maybe the mouse was ready to be caught.

The office was completely empty when Aurora decided it was time to go home. Long gone were the Shelby's and her Dad. They had left a mess of papers in the waiting room but Aurora would deal with it tomorrow, she was hungry and wanted to sleep but something had caught her eyes.

Resting on a chair was a bouquet of white tulips, they had been tied with a blue ribbon and looked beautiful. Aurora not wanting to leave them, backed up from where her coat was hung and walked over to the chair. Gently picking them up she plucked out the card that rested within the ribbon.
It had her name on!
The flowers were for her.
Flipping the card over she felt her heart go wild as saw who had signed it..........
Thomas Shelby

White tulips symbolised forgiveness, she had learnt this after spending almost three years buying flowers for Bill. Tommy was apologising to her and bringing the flowers up to her nose, she Aurora smiled widely. Perhaps he wasn't as cold hearted as she had made him out to be, maybe there was still something inside him. No one had ever gifted her flowers before and Aurora couldn't help but feel like the most happiest girl in England.

Shaking her head in delight, Aurora let out a laugh and hugged the flowers close to her.
"You're a strange one Thomas Shelby"