The Wedding

Friday January 4th 1924
"You can do it Joanne, you're almost there...because....be...cause" Aurora smiled down at the five year old girl to her side, her finger following the word along the page of the book that rested on the desk below.
"B..be..be cause.....because.....because!" Joanne clapped happily hearing the word finally slip from her mouth after struggling so long to pronounce it. She thought she'd never be able to but Miss Hayes had been determined to help her no matter how long it took.
"Yes! Because! Clever girl Joanne! You did it!" Aurora squealed taking the girls hand and squeezing it gently, her face beaming with pride. There was no doubt in her mind that Joanne would soon pick up with the rest of the class in reading, she'd already made so much progress over the last few weeks.
"Thank you Miss Aurora!"
Joanne couldn't wait to get home and read to her Mam and baby sister, she'd learnt so many new words and was excited to show her Mam just how good she was getting with the help of her teachers.

"Right class, I want you all to continue reading over the weekend and I would like your parents or guardians to write down what words you are having trouble with ready for class Monday morning. Miss Hayes won't be here until Wednesday but as always I will be here to help so don't be afraid to ask, with that being said class is now over, you may all pack up your things and make your way into the yard and find your parents"
The classroom turned into a wild race as frenzied children desperately tried to shove all their belongings into their bags and rush out the door having been given the go ahead by Mr Brown who was now watching them in great humour. Aurora found herself laughing too as she tried to help some of the children put their coats on and usher them out the door and into the arms of their families.

Once the children were gone, Aurora began to tidy up the mess they'd left behind, humming to herself as she collected pencils off the floor and bits of discarded paper. She loved to do it, she took pride in the classroom she worked in and wanted it to look perfect for the children coming back on Monday.
"Miss Hayes, can I have a moment of your time?" Mr Brown spoke up after clearing his chalkboard and sitting on the edge of his desk.
"Of course sir" Aurora chirped placing down the books she had began to collect and heading over to Mr Brown. She felt fortunate to have him by her side after being employed by the school. Aurora at first had been incredible nervous about starting the new job and Mr Brown although appearing incredibly strict at first was now one of the kindest people she knew.
"How long have you been working as my teaching assistant now Miss Hayes?" Mr Brown questioned watching Aurora's eyes light up in joy. She really did love her job and the children more than anything.
"Five months sir"
Time had passed quickly and Aurora sometimes felt as if she'd been working at the school for years and sometimes it felt like minutes.
"Five months sir"
The best five months of her life. The job was now her whole world and Aurora could never see herself working for the family full time again. As soon as she managed to become a full time teacher she would leave the family business behind completely and move into her long awaited dreams.
"Only five months and yet you've already made so much progress. Between you and me, your dedication to your work and to these children could best quite a few of the other teachers in this school. I don't doubt that you'll be in your own classroom within the next year but for now I'd like to thank you for making my job easier and helping our children. Through your guidance and care you've created an army of admirers and you ought to be proud" Mr Brown praised the young woman in front of him causing her infectious smile to grow even bigger as she took in his words.
Excitement bubbled up inside Aurora.
Was it possible?
Her own classroom! Within the year!

"Thank you, this job means so much to me, it really does! I love being here and helping the children" Aurora gushed, his words encircling her heart over and over until she felt fit to burst.
"Everyone can see that Miss Hayes, you're a credit to the school. Now go get yourself home, I'll continue to tidy and please enjoy your days off"
Her days off. The sentence was enough to lower Aurora's mood. In truth she would of preferred to be here at the school but duty called and by duty she meant family. Her Dad had stressed the importance of being a strong unit in the months to come and Monday would be the start. Aurora never pried into the business anymore yet she wasn't completely unaware of the things happening around her.
"The Russians are here" She'd heard her Dad say but what it meant for the family was something she hadn't worked out yet.
"Enjoy your weekend Mr Brown I'll see you Wednesday bright and early"