All The Little Pieces

Start from the beginning

Draco stared, expecting Potter to just start shouting at him, maybe even punch him. He expected the git to throw a tantrum and leave just like the other five, only much less silently. Harry did none of those things. Instead, he asked if he could sit. One piece in the right place for him as well.

Draco was left speechless for a few moments. Why, why was it that when he finally felt like he could get the hang of everything, the most troublesome human being just decided to waltz back into his life without a second thought? He was supposed to listen to these people. He was supposed to weigh their problems and pains on his shoulders. How was he supposed to do that with Harry Potter himself? Harry Potter whom he hated for a long time. Harry Potter who saved his life. Harry Potter who spoke up at his trial even though he had absolutely no reason to. Harry Potter who was the reason he was now where he was.

Potter watched him intently, which was probably the only reason Draco managed to come to his senses and gesture for the brunet to take a seat.

Harry sat down on the chair opposite to Malfoy and with that, the session began. He did not talk much, choosing to instead listen to what the others had to say. They all talked the same. It was always the same. It was like people felt like they had to feel depressed after such a war and they picked up this stereotype and repeated it endlessly. It felt as though they were just happy it was over, but guilty for not suffering. Which was stupid. And what bothered Harry most was that Malfoy seemed to do the same.

For the past four years since the war ended, Hermione had been pestering him to see a mind healer, claiming it would help. Harry doubted they could do more than give him a Dreamless Sleep. He gave in, however, when he realized how distressed his friend actually was and decided to sign in for her sake more than his.

While it did come as a surprise to see Draco there of all people, he couldn't help but feel there was no one better fitted for the job and so he found he was deeply disappointed in the lack of sincerity in the blond's words. Fifteen minutes into the first session and he had his mind set to wait at the end for everyone to leave so he could talk to Malfoy. Really talk to him. From a human being to another.

But as soon as the meeting was over, he bolted to his feet like the chair burnt and headed straight for the door. He was the first one to walk out.

It was only at the end of the 6th session, which marked the end of the second week of therapy, that Harry finally had the courage not to stand up. So he remained seated, slightly bent over, resting his elbows on his knees, eyes fixed on the ground. Everyone else had left the room, but Draco gave no sign he would do the same. He watched the raven haired man, waiting.

But Harry stayed quiet. Did he not know what to say or did he not know how to say it? Whichever it was, it mattered not.

"Is something the matter, Harry?" Draco asked after a while, his mask of professionalism not faltering. Potter was just another patient.

Harry flinched slightly, but said nothing. Instead, he abruptly stood up and left.

The next time he waited again until everyone else left and, just like before, he said nothing. For some reason, he enjoyed the silence, now that he wasn't alone.

After a while, Draco's even voice echoed around the room, just like the last time.

"Something the matter, Harry?"

Harry looked like he wanted to say something for a second, but he ended up shaking his head with a sigh before standing up and leaving once again.

The next meeting, Harry stayed again. And the meeting after. And the one after that. It took him a while before he found it in himself to actually speak.