Harry Potter and The One Year He Finally Noticed

Start from the beginning

Was it the war that opened his eyes? The whole year spent on the run? Or maybe just the simple fact that he was close to the blond that his vision cleared. And suddenly he was aware of excited whispers and giddy giggles as he and Draco walked down the halls. People were conveniently pushing them together and watching them intently while studying and making sure there were only two seats available when they entered a classroom which just happened to be next to each other. And Harry might or might not have been in love with Draco thing that led him to make an utter fool of himself whenever he noticed things like those.

"Draco", he angrily said before flopping down on the library chair closest to the blond. He had just overheard some sixth years talking about the two of them and how nice it would be if they spent a Saturday at Hogsmeade together and he had fucking had enough. He just had to talk to Draco about this.

"Potter, please, have you really no consideration for your surroundings? How many times do I have to tell you to keep quiet when you're in here?" his friend scolded gently, turning a page from his book.

But Harry really couldn't care less about that.

"Did you know we are the hot fucking topic of gossip in this school? People seem to think that we are meant for each other." He tried really, really hard to ignore his wild heard that seemed to want to fucking drill a whole into his chest and continued. "They even have a couple name for us!"

Now, Draco closed his book and directed all his attention on his friend, regarding him with an amused and mocking look, crossing his legs.

"It took you long enough."

"What?"

It was hard not to laugh at the bewildered look on Potter's face, especially with those ridiculously big glasses on his face.

"They've been at it since first year", Draco supplied and marveled at the faces Harry was pulling now.

"And you knew?"

Draco gave a rich laugh, all teeth and eye crinkles -Harry though he could live off that laugh alone- and responded with sarcastic amusement in his voice:

"The whole school knows, Potter. Even the teachers are in on it, though they try to be more subtle."

"Then how- how did I not notice, Jesus! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Me?" Draco arched an eyebrow. "Do you think between insults would have been an appropriate time for me to tell you the whole school wants us together?"

"W-well", Harry stammered, rather adorably, Draco supplied. "You could have told me since this year started."

"And what would have been the point?" Draco tried to mask the pain in his voice as best as he could. "It's not like you would have done anything with the information."

Harry swallowed thickly, desperately wanting to let Draco know just how much he would like to do.

"But you knew all this time?" he asked instead.

A nod.

"And it didn't bother you? Doesn't bother you?"

Draco gave an elegant half shrug, then answered:

"Why would it?"