33. Balance is restored

Start from the beginning

"Well he can stay like that then." I decided. "Nobody can help who they love."

Arthur lowered his head as his cheeks flushed, looking touched. "Uh, thanks Rory."

"If you want to worry about anyone, Hermione, worry about me!” Ron exclaimed.

“You?” she said, raising an eyebrow. “Why should I be worried about you?” 

“When Mum’s next letter finally gets through Umbridge’s screening process,” said Ron bitterly, now holding his cup up while its frail legs tried feebly to support its weight, “I’m going to be in deep trouble. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s sent another Howler.” 

“But -” 

“It’ll be my fault Fred and George left, you wait, “ said Ron darkly. “She’ll say I should’ve stopped them leaving, I should’ve grabbed the ends of their brooms and hung on or something… yeah, it’ll be all my fault.” 

"Well that'd be stupid." Arthur said, pushing his glasses further up his nose. "They were saying to me and Ben weeks before that they had somewhere set up if we wanted jobs once we graduated."

"Are you back with Ben then?" I asked curiously. "You've mentioned him a lot recently."

Arthur rolled his eyes. "I'm not with anyone, since Eloise Midgen is a moron. And Ben and I are just friends, there is this radical things called 'staying friends with your ex'."

"I wouldn't know." I shrugged. "Anyway, away from Arthur's love life."

"Yes, let's." Arthur huffed. "But I want to know where they got the money from. I mean, they couldn't have made that much from the products."

“It’s a bit dodgy isn’t it? They’ll need loads of Galleons to afford the rent on a place in Diagon Alley. Mum will want to know what they’ve been up to, to get their hands on that sort of gold.” Ron added.

“Well, yes, that occurred to me, too,” said Hermione, allowing her teacup to jog in neat little circles around Harry’s, “I’ve been wondering whether Mundungus has persuaded them to sell stolen goods or something awful.” 

“He hasn’t,” said Harry curtly. 

“How do you know?” said Ron and Hermione together. 

“Because --Because they got the gold from Rory and me. We gave them the Triwizard winnings last June.”

"Did we?" I asked. "I don't remember?"

"You told me you didn't want the money, so I gave your winnings with mine." Harry frowned. "Don't you remember?"

"Don't worry about my memory, my sanity was wearing thin during those weeks." I said with a forced smile, picking at a hangnail.

“Oh, Harry, you didn’t!” Hermione exclaimed.

“Yes, I did,” said Harry mutinously. “And I don’t regret it, either. I didn’t need the gold and they’ll be great at running a joke shop. Not to mention Lacey and Hollie can get a home now.” 

“But this is excellent!” said Ron, looking thrilled. “It’s all your fault, Harry - Mum can’t blame me at all! Can I tell her?”

“Yeah, I suppose you’d better,” said Harry dully, “specially if she thinks they’re receiving stolen cauldrons or something.” 

"Well I wouldn't put it past them, you do what you have to do." Arthur said absent mindly, rubbing at his glasses lens.

“It’s no good nagging me, it’s done,” Harry said firmly to Hermione. “Fred and George have got the gold - spent a good bit of it, too, by the sounds of it - and I can’t get it back from them and I don’t want to. So save your breath, Hermione.”