Chapter 9

Aesop's POV

Aesop was in and out of consciousness after that. He vaguely remembered flashes of concerned faces, being picked up and rushed off to Emily. Even she looked pale at the sight of him. Is it that bad? He asked in his head, his voice unable to come out properly.

He'd become almost numb to the pain but when he thought about it, he was overwhelmed by a throbbing burn. However, it didn't feel like how everyone was reacting to it, especially Joseph. The fear in Joseph's eyes made Aesop believe that he might actually be dying and he didn't realise it.

Joseph,

That thought made Aesop's stomach drop and heart well all at the same time. He felt guilty for running away from him. Aesop was pretty sure he'd communicated the wrong message. It wasn't that Aesop didn't like Joseph, he'd come to terms with his feelings for Joseph for a long while now but he just knew it shouldn't work. It couldn't, actually. How on earth were supposed navigate a relationship with everyone against them. Normal relationships were hard enough (not that Aesop would know from experience, he'd never been in a relationship before).

His mind was foggy. He was having a hard time figuring reality from dreams. He keep on seeing flashes of survivors and Joseph but couldn't tell where he was or what was going on. Aesop knew his wound was definitely being manhandled though, the pain was as bright as fireworks, nauseating and heavy enough to make him pass out every now and again so he assumed Emily was tending to his wound.

It felt like minutes for Aesop but hours later, he finally came to his senses. His eyes were shut but he could feel his mattress beneath him as well as someone stroking his hair. He thought it was Joseph at first, he was doing it hysterically whilst they were still in the match so naturally the pain drunk Aesop couldn't see that it was impossible for Joseph to be there.

And so, Aesop reached up and laced his fingers together with the hand on his head and held their intertwined hands to there chest with a small smile.

The hand seemed to tense and weakly grip his hand back. The grip was unsure of itself and the hand and shape was all wrong, much smaller than what he was used to feeling. Aesop realised it couldn't be Joseph and opened his eyes with a frown, his gaze meeting with that of Eli who laughed gingerly and pulled his hand away,
"Were you having a good dream?"
He asked teasingly.
Aesop flushed in embarrassment, he'd treated his best friend like Joseph. Not that he would know he was thinking of the hunter. The whole situation had just because weird and stiff because of one careless mistake.

Aesop cleared his throat, starting to sit up and said,
"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking-"
"I know, I know" Eli interrupted, easing Aesop back down into the bed, "Don't sit up yet. Emily only finished your stitches a couple hours ago. It was so bad Aesop." He whispered, shaking his head, "All of us weren't sure if you were going to make it, you lost so much blood. It was terrifying for us let alone you. You were very lucky."
He said, smiling softly at Aesop.

Aesop could still smell the faint metallic scent of blood on his clothes. Joseph's jacket had been taken away at some point as well as his own jacket and shirt. He was wearing a clean shirt now. His attention was drawn to a flash of gold and blue stained crimson from his own blood, Eli was holding Joseph's jacket with a venomous look,
"That damn hunter had the audacity to give you his jacket like he didn't mean it. It was that Photographer one, wasn't it? The one you asked the name of. That bastard better be kicked out by the Host for this." He spat patronisingly then laughed weakly
"Being let off the hook is too easy. He should be wounded and have his life be put in danger too"

Aesop recoiled in the bed, Eli understandably couldn't comprehend what was going on. At least Aesop knew that happened, or he thought he did for the most part. He remembered the Ripper yelling at Joseph, something about hitting him. Aesop saw the panic surge through his eyes before he carelessly hit him with his sword. He knew how guilty Joseph felt already but injuring him must have pushed him over the edge. Joseph was crying way more than he was. That expression Joseph was wearing- the one of animalistic panic and dread- made Aesop's heart ache.

"He didn't mean to hurt me this bad. None of the hunters do that... I'm sure it was a mistake. Ripper was shouting at him and..."
he trailed off. Eli watched him with raised eyebrows,
"Why are you defending him? You should be angry too. Aesop, this wasn't a little scratch. We were all so worried about you. You deserve some sort of justice for this. You shouldn't be sticking up for him."
He repeated, leaning over and squeezing Aesop's hand gently.

Aesop looked at Eli with his mouth agape, searching for a reply desperately. He couldn't tell him the truth, absolutely not, ever, but what other excuse did he have? Thankfully, he was saved by Emily walking in. Eli swiftly took his hand away when he heard the door open and sat back on his chair.

Emily smiled softly when he saw Aesop,
"Ah he's awake? Thank the gods." She sighed softly "Eli, you were supposed to tell us when he woke up." She reprimanded, gently smacking his arm "You insisted on staying in here with him, Aesop still needs treating. You're only job was to tell us."
She tutted and perched on the bed next to Aesop, gently moving his shirt off his shoulder so she could look at the wound.

"You were lucky."
Emily mumbled after a long while of examining the gash on his shoulder "Someone really must've willed for you to stay alive."
She muttered. That line immediately sent images of Joseph into Aesop's mind. Aesop could imagine Joseph praying for him, he'd never asked if he was religious but it seemed like it was something he'd do for him.

Meanwhile, Eli put the coat on the corner of Aesop's bed frame and quietly shuffled out of the room when Emily told him that Aesop needed to rest. Finally Aesop was alone after having his bandages changed.

He tugged down the coat and held it close to his chest, despite it being covered in his dry blood (particularly on the right shoulder) it still smelt like Joseph's scent which was clean and heartening to Aesop. It made his very bones ache to see him. The scent of mint and freshwater would probably always make him feel like that now he'd met Joseph. Aesop wondered if he had a certain scent and if it still had the same effect on Joseph as it did on him.

Aesop held the coat close to his chest and sighed shakily. How was he ever supposed to meet Joseph again with everyone fawning over him like a toddler. They certainly weren't going to let him into matches in this state. Aesop groaned softly and held the bridge of his nose, trying to formulate a plan but only meeting dead ends. He let his hand fall to his side which made a crinkly sound.

Aesop frowned softly and reached in his pocket, producing a crumpled piece of paper from it. He unfolded it and lo and behold it was in Joseph's hand, messy and rushed, but definitely Joseph's. He felt another swell of guilt like being swallowed by water as he realised he'd been purposefully avoiding the letter drop offs as well. Joseph's desperation to get near him suddenly made much more sense, he wasn't trying to speak to him in person but just get some sort of communication through to him.

He read over the note, sighing at the last line 'Come no matter what'. That was the only difficult part about it. He'd have to wait until there was no chance of being spotted by the other survivors as well as having to deal with the searing pain in his shoulder, Aesop hoped Joseph wouldn't mind waiting a while.

Aesop stayed awake until the small hours of the morning. He decided then would be the time he'd leave. He slipped his shoes on and pulled Joseph's jacket over his shoulders. He couldn't put it on properly because of his wounded shoulder and it would be way too big on him even if he tried, but he needed to return it. Aesop then crept out the room and hurried down the hallway.

And from his room a singular blue eye opened and trailed along in the darkness after him.