Chapter 1

Natasha feels quite overwhelmed. The horde of students waiting for the gates to open is colossal, loud too. People she doesn't know shout hellos across the crowd and push and shove and laugh. She can barely see above the gaggle of moving heads when she stands on her tip-toes. At this rate, she won't ever find him.

She manages to make her way over to a bench, which she promptly stands up on, scanning the crowd for one familiar face and sighs. Things are going well already. She's just about to give up and push her way and ask at reception when a voice she recognises hollers from a few metres away.

"Tasha! Natasha! Over here!"

She snaps her head the other way to at last be welcomed by a face she knows, waving frantically. Relief fills her as she dismounts from the bench and hurries over, swinging her bag over her shoulder as she goes.

"There you are. I've been looking for you for at least twenty minutes-" He's cut off as she drops her bag and wraps her arms around him in a hug. He's caught by surprise at first, but soon reciprocates in equal measure. "What was that for?" He asks as she breaks away, retrieving her bag.
"Nothing, just happy to see you." She looks around nervously. "God, I'm so glad you're here, Clint."
He smiles warmly at her. "I'm glad you're here too."

She looks back at him, suddenly serious. "Right, important things first. Where's your girlfriend? I've been dying to meet her."
He chuckles, stretching his neck to search. It appears he finds what he's looking for, as his expression softens and he hurries off, throwing "Be right back!" over his shoulder.

True to his word, he emerges not a minute later, holding hands with a pretty brunette.
"Wow, Clint. You're really punching above your weight." Natasha says as they approach. The Girlfriend chuckles as Clint huffs.
"I like you already." Girlfriend smiles at her. They both look at Clint expectantly.
He realises. "Oh, right, introductions. Tasha, this is Laura. Laura, meet Natalia Alianovna Romanova-" He winces as Natasha whacks him on the arm and interrupts his plummy flourish.
"Natasha Romanoff." She says, smiling at Laura.
"Hi. I've heard a lot about you." Laura replies. "Hey where's everyone else?" She adds, turning to Clint, who shrugs.
"Probably doing crack behind the bike racks." He deadpans and Laura slaps his arm as Natasha's eyes widen. "I'm joking, I'm joking!" He raises his arms in mock surrender. "If one more person touches my arm today it will probably fall off, and I've only been here five minutes." They laugh in spite of themselves. "Truth is I don't know. We'll see them in tutor though. I can introduce you." He adds to Natasha, who shrugs.
"Sure. I can steal all your friends with my natural charm."
"Oh, shut up." He chuckles.
"Okay I love her..." Laura gestures toward Natasha.
"The feeling's mutual." She grins back.

There's a grating sound behind them and suddenly the mob starts moving as the gates grind open. They flow through the gates, a river of black blazers and striped ties.

"Follow me, Tasha." Clint gestures. "You're in my form."
"You're not coming?" Natasha turns to Laura.
"Different form." She shrugs. "I'll see you guys later?"
"At break if not in class. Bye." Clint kisses her cheek as she retreats into the mass. As soon as she's gone, Natasha turns on Clint.
"Explain this to me. How did you manage to land that absolute angel?"
"Alright, alright." He fakes offence. "Let's walk and talk, or we'll be late." They set off towards the gates and head through the doors, down a hall to a canteen. "We met at the archery club."
Natasha makes a choking sound. "She does archery with you?"
"Careful, might offend me, Romanoff."
"If I haven't already." She mutters.
"Anyway, no she doesn't do archery, her dad's the club manager."
"Very posh." Her eyebrows raise. Clint rolls his eyes. They stop just outside a door on the first floor.
"Here's form room. You can get your locker later as Ms Williams probably has the key. We're all getting new timetables as it's the new year, so you're not behind on that front. The school's pretty easy to navigate. You'll soon get the hang of it."
Natasha nods.