Chapter 11

At first, Gintoki was reluctant to let someone stay with him who was wanted by both Shinsengumi and Joui, even if that person was a cute girl. His mind was easily changed, however, when (F/N) said a few simple words.

"Wow, I had no idea you were so afraid of Hijikata-kun."

After that, (F/N) was an official member of the Yorozuya, and under Gin's personal protection because, 'why would I be afraid of that tobacco freak and the long-haired idiot?' Even if this was what she wanted, though, she found she spent little time on jobs, and most of her time locked in Gin's bedroom, which he'd given to her after a lecture from Kagura about not making girls sleep on the couch. She kept to herself partly because she didn't want to be seen by anyone who might want her dead, but mostly because she had no motivation or focus. She kept thinking about Katsura. Had he survived his injury? Had he realized she was a spy yet? Did he love her? Hate her? She couldn't stop thinking about it.

One day, as she sat in her room thinking these thoughts, someone rang the doorbell. (F/N)'s ears perked up. Was it Katsura? It couldn't be Katsura, right? She couldn't imagine he would be looking for her in so friendly a manner.

It took exactly ten rings for Gin to get out of his comfy chair to answer the door. (F/N) heard him pad across the room, and slide the door open.

"Gintoki-dono! I have an odd job for you!"

(F/N) couldn't believe it. It was actually him. She crept over to the door, pressing her ear against it.

She listened as their footsteps scuffled into the living room, and they sat down. Gin offered some strawberry milk, which Katsura declined, and they got down to business.

"So, Zura, what brings you here?"

"It's not Zura, it's Katsura, and I need you to find this woman."

(F/N) froze. He was looking for her, but wait—it could be another woman. She shouldn't fool herself.

"Hm..." Gin muttered, "cute cat whiskers, Zura."

Okay, he was looking for her, and he'd read her diary.

"It's not Zura, it's Katsura," he repeated, "and I'm not looking for the whiskers, I'm looking for the girl."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I heard you the first time."

There was a silence, and (F/N) just knew Gin was picking his nose. She leaned closer to the door, wishing he would do something productive. She needed to know why Katsura was looking for her. Did he want her dead? Captured?

Finally, Gin spoke.

"Why're you looking for her, anyway? I mean, she's cute, sure, but—"

"I'm going to marry her."

(F/N) fell through the door. What did he just say? Marry? Wasn't he skipping a few steps? Like not being on opposite sides of a war?

Katsura leapt to his feet as she crashed through the door, and his eyes lit up. Within seconds, (F/N) was engulfed in his arms. He was so gentle as he held her, one hand resting on her waist, the other cradling her head. His hair was soft as it tickled her face, and smelled faintly of his floral-scented shampoo.

"The zashiki-warashi have brought her to me!" Katsura exclaimed.

"There's no zashiki-warashi here!" Gin snapped. "I've been keeping her safe until your stupid ass realizes she's more than you deserve!"

Unfortunately for Gin, neither Katsura nor (F/N) were paying any attention.

(F/N)'s heart raced. She'd imagined being embraced by Katsura so many times, but now that it was happening to her, she didn't know what to do. Her face flushed as he pulled her closer, nuzzling her neck and breathing in the scent of her hair. (F/N) found herself bracing her hands against his shoulders, trying to push him away.