Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

“You know what, forget it,” I say, “I’m coming home.”

“I seriously, seriously don’t care right about now,” she inserts, “I’m going to take a nap so just go and see her, don’t let me stop you.”

“Kayla, I don’t want this to turn out into some big argument,” I explain. I pause and then say, “Well, I love you, so whatever, I’ll speak to you later.”

She pauses and I hear her exhale once more before saying, “Bye,” and the line goes dead. Oh, great.

I drag my fingers through my hair and sigh in frustration. I honestly don’t know what the fuck I’m doing. This isn’t worth arguing over but I’ve dug my grave too far now and whether I go to see Rosie or not, an argument is still going to come out of this.

Within fifteen minutes, I park the car outside of Rosie’s house and as I’m walking towards the door, a tight knot clenches at my stomach. C’mon man, get a grip. I ring the doorbell three times, before taking a step back and turning my back to the door. Alright, here’s the plan; I’m going to hear what she has to say and then I’m leaving.

The door then opens and I turn around to see Rosie standing inside. She’s wearing a khaki jumper with black jeans, with ripped slits at the knees and black boots. Her red hair dye has started to fade, revealing her black roots, but it really suits her. She smiles at me, but folds her arms.

“I thought you wouldn’t come,” she says, sounding relieved.

“I haven’t got long,” I respond, my voice cold, and she swallows before stepping back and allowing my inside.

The hallway is loaded with boxes of different sizes and I frown turn back to look at her, “Are you going somewhere?” I ask.

She puts both hands into her back pockets and lets out a sigh, “That’s partly why I wanted to see you,” she explains. She then pauses and says, “Let’s go into the living room, there’s not a lot of boxes and stuff in there.” I lead the way into her living room and she follows in silence, and I can’t help but feel a little nervous, I wonder what she’s got to tell me. “How’s Kayla?” she then asks and I turn around to face her.

“She’s fine,” I say, “You sounded pretty urgent in your text, so what’s wrong? I haven’t got time to waste while we catch up.”

She arches an eyebrow at me but exhales and sits down into one of her leather armchairs, placing her elbows on her knees and sinking her chin into her palms. “I’ve been seeing a therapist for some time now,” she explains, but she doesn’t meet my eye and she simply stares at the ground. I raise an eyebrow in surprise at her revelation but I allow her to continue. “She’s really helped me to realise some things in my life and make some very important changes,” she says and she then raises her eyes to meet mine and they’re surprisingly soft, and somewhat sad.

She takes a deep breath as she begins, “When I fell in love with you, it was like what, five years ago? I thought we would be together forever, just me and you. I had dated guys before and I definitely knew what it felt like to be crushed on by pretty much everyone, but you made me feel different,” she explains. I swallow hard before exhaling, wondering where this story is going as my mind briefly wonders back to our relationship. I take a seat in the couch opposite her, “I lied to you when I said I wasn’t a virgin,” she suddenly says, and my brows burrow as my eyes widen in disbelief.

“What? You were a virgin?” I ask, unable to hide my shock.

“Yes,” she explains, “It was a bit stupid of me to lie, but it’s because I knew that you had slept with other girls before, and I just didn’t want to seem like some little inexperienced girl.”