Chapter 1

I stood there and stared the slip of paper pressed between my index-finger my ­­ thumb. This couldn't have been happening. After all the hard work I did to prevent him from coming here, he still insisted that he should. I cursed under my breath and read the note again, thinking I had overlooked something.

"Dear Joe,

I'm not giving up on you. You sound so perfect in all your letters. I really want to see you again. I'll be flying over and living in Braydon for a year at least. Someplace near you, hopefully. Would you please meet me at the airport? I'll send you more information later. Love you, Guitar Girl.

Forever Yours,

Travis."

I fell on my bed with a flop. I couldn't just leave him wondering the city by himself. It was my fault he was coming anyways. I might as well meet him at the airport. I searched my room for any scrap of money. He'd need something to eat when he gets off the plane. The ride is 7 hours from Manassas, VA to Braydon, FL, he'd surely get hungry. And I know for a fact he won't eat that crap they call plane food. I glanced at the rainy day through my bedroom window. He had told me that he loved rainy days. I preferred snow. Thank God it was the middle of fall. I don't think I could've handled him during the summer or spring. Winter was best. He'd be too cold to go outside and I'd get all the fun.

'Crap' I whispered, remembering he was staying for a year. Maybe more.

"Joe, you have another letter here! It's from your friend Travis!" My mom called up from the bottom of the staircase.

I giggled at her words. Travis wasn't technically a friend. He and I met once over the summer at a camp for musicians. I guess you could say that we were all that each other had. But I wasn't into him like he was obviously into me. I tried to clarify that we were just friends, but he insisted I was his one and only. I played along and even promised to write letters to him. So that's mostly how this chaos happened. Of course, we were only 15 when we met. Now we were 18. Adults. Things have completely changed with me.

I pranced down the spiral staircase and walked into the fumed-filled kitchen. Gliding over to where my daddy was standing, I peaked into the pot of delicious food. He shooed my head away.

"Don't get your girly hair into my famous stew." He said sternly. I backed away and trotted back up to my room where I dialed Travis's cell number and pressed send.

It rang once.

Twice.

Thr-

"Hello?? Joey?" Travis sounded excited as he answered the phone. "How've you been? Did you get my letter?"

I laughed at his constant questions. He sounded as if he'd just won the lottery and they were calling in to tell him.

"I've been fine. And yeah, I got your letter. Are you sure you want to come here? It's not a very sa-"

"Are you kidding me? I've missed you to death! There's no way in hell that I'm NOT coming." I winced at his curse. "So, are you going to pick me up? I'd really love it if you did." I nodded, then realized that he couldn't see me. "Of course. I am the reason you're coming anyways, so I might as well." I heard him sigh in relief. I softly let out a laugh. I could hear his smile as he said, "I love your laugh."

"You're blushing." I heard my brother say as he stood in the doorway. "Excuse me, but I thought the sign said no idiots allowed!" I barked. He smirked and walked off.

"Sorry about that, it was just Justin being a douche again."

"Oh, that's fine. He's just jealous."