Chapter 8

"So, darling, would you care to explain how you forgot to shield yourself when you shielded everyone else?" Loki asked you dryly as he drove you to the tower compound where the Avengers lived. "As I recall, that was the first thing I taught you after you acquired my powers through the soulbond." Loki wasn't pleased with you for forgetting that absolute basic of magic.

"It's Uncle Tony's fault-" you started, but hesitated, not wanting to throw Tony completely under the bus.

"Excellent," Loki replied with a smirk. "I could use an excuse to punch him in the face. It is so much more satisfactory when there is a valid reason behind the punch," Loki added wistfully. He wouldn't actually punch Tony without a damn good reason. And it had to be a reason that you would agree to.

You couldn't help laughing. "You can't rough him up too badly or Pepper will kill you," you reminded him. He laughed at that and acquiesced that Pepper would indeed kill him. A minute passed and he gave you a look, so you sighed and finally continued your story. "I'm not constantly assigned on patrols like most of the rest of the supers...until last month anyway. When I am, I'm always on Tony's team. You know how Tony is. He only assigns me as support, shielding the others, dampening fires, and healing mostly. So I've gotten so used to shielding everyone else while Tony insists I stay away from the danger, that I got out of the habit of making the shields big enough to include me," you explained. It was really annoying, especially when you were the strongest super on the team.

"Your uncle is an idiot," Loki replied dryly. Tony had messed with your instincts and training until you put yourself in danger.

"Agreed," you grumbled, twisting the stupid metal bangle around your wrist and imagining all of the fun ways you would destroy the damn thing the second you got it off again. You hated restraints, though you knew the tower kept a stock of them for villainous supers.

"See that you do not forget again to shield yourself first," Loki grumbled at you.

"I won't. I promise. One painful reminder is enough," you added. Your ribs and arm were still sore and bruised. Battlefield healing was not thorough at all. It was only meant to make sure the combatants could keep fighting until the battle was over. You glared at the metal bangle on your wrist while Loki drove. "Why did I let you do this again?" you asked him grumpily. You really hated being weak or helpless.

"Because I asked nicely, unlike your idiot uncle. You are also intelligent enough to realize that your idiot uncle and I are correct in the assessment that you are about to drop from exhaustion and overwork. You are also smart enough to admit that the healers will guilt you into helping them when you should be resting, because they take advantage of your kindness," he replied too logically. He was too flattering, but he was also right. You huffed and grumbled. You hated it, but he was right.

Why did he have to be right?

You soon pulled up to the residents' parking at the compound and went to go find your actor friends. It wasn't hard. They were all outside the tower, using the outside of the building for their filming. You were waved over and greeted with cheers when they crew saw you. You were amazed at how many people they had dressed as Loki and Sigyn. You spotted Tom in the crowd of Lokis and grabbed your Loki's hand so you wouldn't lose him before daring to aim that way.

"What's going on?" you asked Tom once you were close enough to him. You saw Kelly nearby, surrounded by all of the Sigyns.

"We're shooting a scene where we Loki is using illusions," Tom explained, indicating all of the doubles. "I thought you two would have fun with us," he added with a grin. Tom was too much like his character at times and had too much mischief about him. "It's a pleasure to see you again, Loki," he addressed the god, polite as ever.