The students were grabbing their stuff to leave at the end of class when Tom decided to do something about that student. "Miss Merin, would you stay a moment?"

The girl with the blonde hair, Ava, stopped as she turned to leave. Her friends shared a confused look with her, but she told them to go without her. Heaving a sigh of nervousness, she made her way over to Professor Riddle's desk. He motioned his hand over the chair across from him for her to sit. Setting her bag on the ground, she slowly sat down.

Tom found himself amused, seeing that she thought she was in trouble. "I wanted to speak to you about class today."

"Oh?"

"You didn't do anything wrong," Tom said with a smirk. "In fact, you performed the spells with near perfect technique." Ava smiled slightly. "However, I could see some hesitation when you were retaliating."

Ava blinked a few times, not sure how to respond. "I didn't notice I was."

Tom's lips quirked up at the corners. "I'm sure." He crossed his arms and and leaned back. "You need to be more confident. In a real duel, you can't afford even a second of hesitation."

"I understand sir," Ava said after a second. "I know the spells, but I suppose since it's people I know it's hard." She looked down from him and pushed some hair behind her ear.

Tom's attention was pulled to her movements in a way it shouldn't be. It was like everything with her; he was constantly drawn to her. He didn't understand it, didn't even want to accept it. But there was something about Ava Merin that he found fascinating.

Clearing his throat to clear the inappropriate thoughts from his mind, Tom continued to clarify his words. "There is a slight possibility that you may know the person you duel as well."

Ava sighed softly. "I suppose that's true too."

"Just try to have a little more aggression next time," Tom said in response. "Perhaps you need more incentive?"

Ava's face grew warm at the hidden implication of his words. It made her nervous, but it also intrigued her a bit. Professor Riddle had always paid slightly more attention to her than the other students. She didn't understand why, there was nothing special about her. She knew girls practically fell on their feet for the Defense professor; he was young, charming, and attractive. But there was something unsettling odd about him. And he chose to put his attention on her.

Looking at the time, Ava stood up to leave. "I'll keep that in mind. If you'll excuse me, I should be going to the common room now." She flashed a smile to the Professor and attempted to turn away.

"Miss Merin."

Ava looked back at Professor Riddle with a raised eyebrow. "Yes sir?"

Tom let a coy smile slip on his face, "you can always come to me for more practice in the future." He was delighted when he noticed the way her face flushed, although he wasn't sure why. "I'll see you next class." Ava was quick to leave following his dismissal. A smirk formed then, a new idea coming to Tom's mind. He wasn't done with Ava Merin, far from it.

...

The room was dark and warm as Ava began to wake up. When she was conscious enough to move with purpose, she stretched her whole body out. She still couldn't get over how comfortable the bed was. But when she moved a certain way, a sharp twinge from the movement fully woke her up. And the previous night came swimming back to the forefront of her mind. Ava sat up slowly, mindful of her body's soreness, to look around the room.

There sitting in front of the small fireplace was the man of her thoughts. He was quietly flipping through a book with a cup of steaming tea sitting next to him on the side table. Ava smiled a bit when she noticed the second cup next to the chair next to his. Taking that as a cue to get up, Ava found his discarded shirt to slip on for the time being and made her way over to him. As she sat down, he shut his book and placed it aside to greet her.

OC One Shotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें