Chapter 17

After the artists that sang previously exited the stage, Martin Nievera appeared. He stood with a serious look on his face. He took a deep breath. It was almost like he didn't know what to say. He looked at the audience. Even he was full of emotions. "I never thought I would ever stand on stage paying tribute to one of the most iconic figures in the Philippine industry...because she's missing," he stated. Then he took a deep breath. "These are the times when I can't help but question God, 'God why Sarah of all people?' I think we can all agree that Sarah's like an angel. I know there's no such thing as perfect, but Sarah, she came close to one. When I heard the news, I thought, 'Oh God, no. How are we all going to take this? How will the nation react to this? How will we ever push through?' It's true. That's what I really thought. Then I had to kind of really sit down and process it, you know? I think we heard the words 'surreal' and 'unreal' more than ten times already throughout the night, because it is. For us, her fellow artists, it doesn't feel real. I bet, to you as an audience, as a fan, as a family member, it doesn't feel real either. We're so used to having her here. We're so used to her presence. It doesn't feel like she's missing. It's true what they said earlier. It feels like she's just in some part of the world bringing entertainment and inspiration. Up until this very second, I feel like she's out there changing lives for the better. That's how I know of Sarah. Her soul, it's one of a kind. She touches the heart and soul of everyone she meets. She has a magnet with people. You don't even have to be standing right next to her to be magnetized to her charm, her charisma, and her heart. She just has a way with people. She might not know it, she might not be aware of it, but we are all drawn to her. We know we can't resist her. None of us are immune to what power she has on us. I think that's why it's so hard to process everything. It's so hard to understand. You just want to see her again. You just want her to be well. You want to see her right in front of you, giggling and singing and dancing and doing all things a popstar royalty does. I don't know what else to say but I miss you. I really do, Sarah. Right now, all we can do is sit and wait and pray. But thank God, our God is bigger than all of us. He sits in His throne and with a snap of a finger, Sarah and all of the missing passengers could be right here next to all of us, wondering what in the heck are we all doing here tonight. So Sarah, this is for you and all of you on that plane. I love you, girl. You know that. I know we'll see each other again soon. I know we'll see them all again soon," Martin said. Then he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Then the band started playing and Martin sang, Kahit Isang Saglit.

A slideshow of Sarah's pictures were shown behind him. He turned his body to face the screen and sang the song for her.

Sana'y ika'y muling makita ko. Damhin ang tibok ng puso mo. Sana'y yakapin mo akong muli kahit sandali, kahit isang saglit, mayakap ka.

He wiped his sweat across his face. Then, he swallowed as he waited for the next song to play. Then he started singing, Ikaw Lang Ang Mamahalin.

Puso'y lumaban man, walang magagawa. Saan ka, kailan ka muling mahahagkan. Magkulang man sa'tin itong sandali, alam ko na tayo'y magkikitang muli. Hangga't may umaga pa na haharapin, ikaw lang ang mamahalin.

Matteo looked down. He swallowed as he wiped the tears in his eyes. He sat up straight. His family looked at him worriedly. Then Martin went down to him. He grabbed Matteo and held onto his shoulders to try and bring him comfort. Then he made him face the audience and made him sing along with him what Martin thought was an important lyrics of the song.