Chapter One

New Story. New Idea. If anyone has any ideas for a front cover or story images then message me. Willing to dedicate to those I like as well as include the image as a side picture or even story cover! So get creative and fill up my imbox with your creations! 

It was becoming part of my routine, positioning myself at a table and using a book as a prop to remain as unnoticeable as I physically could without reducing the view of my line of sight. I didn’t blink, my gaze focused on the blonde haired beauty in the corner of the room, her small fingers curled around the edges of a biology exercise book, oblivious to everything else around her.

“Chase?”

Her name was Annabelle.

She was a new addition to their territory after having arrived with many others who had submitted to my alpha, choosing to admit defeat in order to survive instead of being killed within battle. I had fought, had killed and wounded many who had taken the aggressive option rather than recogning that they would not be triumphing at the end of the battle, and yet it hadn’t seemed worth it when I calculated the small amount of territory which was gained as a result.

It didn’t make sense; why go to war when the gain was so insignificant?

“Chase?”

I was responsible for recruiting, training and managing the packs military and defensive guard. At eighteen I was already established across many packs as being a fair but firm trainer, of turning even the most unassuming pack members into wolves capable of fighting alongside me with a grace and elegance that was a firm contrast to the harm they could inflict on another. I respected each pack member as long as they respected me in return.

As long as they followed orders that was.

I was a beta. Not considered a low position within any pack, but there were many of us. It was my position regarding the packs defensive and offensive military that established my high position despite my wolf’s birth status. I was no alpha, but I was close.

“Chase!”

Feeling my eyes bleed into black I snapped my head around, instinctively snapping my fangs at the interruption. I had taken to spending the majority of my nights staring at the new addition to the pack, her adamant interest in her reading material preventing her from noticing the intensity of my staring as she frequently made herself at home within the cosy walls of the library.

It was probably for the best.

“What?”

Michael raised his hands in defence, “I just wanted to remind you that the warning bell is about to ring in five minutes. It’s your turn to lock up.”

My fingers clenched into tight fists at the reminder of the provisional nature of the overtaken pack and the rules that came along with their stay. In return of shelter, job opportunities and food they were required to follow strict instructions, one of which was being contained in a designated area after eight pm.

I didn’t agree but it hadn’t been my call. It was understandable to take precautions in case of unrest or killings within the pack, but to physically lock them up, treat them like animals was disturbing.

“Why don’t you just ask her out?” Michael had clearly followed my line of sight and noticed my staring. I grunted. “You waiting around to make sure she isn’t late getting there?” he continued after receiving no response.

My nails clawed at the reminder that she was subjected to the same caging as the other pack members, the idea that someone so quiet, so harmless was treated as if she was a threat despite her complete cooperation didn’t sit well with me.