Chapter 26

"... 3, 2, 1, Happy New Year!"

Jason leaned in and kissed me softly as the fireworks performed their magic in the sky.

"Happy New Year." he wished me after the kiss.

"Happy New Year." I replied back and smiled. "Can we leave now?" I asked and he chuckled.

"Let's go."

He wrapped his arm around my waist and led me through the crowd outside to his car.

We hopped in and buckled up. "I don't wanna go home." I told him.

"But you just asked me-"

"No, I mean... I don't wanna go home, I want to go to your place." I replied.

"You didn't just a couple of days ago." he stated and raised his eyebrows at me.

"Fine, take me home then." I shrugged. "No, no. Let's go to my place then." he quickly said and drove off.

"You'll stay over, right?" he asked. "Obviously." I replied and looked at him surprised.

"Alright, just tell your parents first." he said. "Why?" I asked.

"Because. You don't want them to worry, do you?"

"They know I'm with you, what's the problem?" I shrugged. "I'm not on your father's list of his favorite people, let's not make things worse." he said and rolled his eyes at me.

"Lol." was all I had to say back.

"Lol?"

"Laughing out loud?" I replied.

"I know what it means, Harper. But you can't say that. It's for texting only." he said and I burst out laughing.

"What?" I exclaimed through the laughter.

"What if I said idk instead of I don't know? It just sounds weird." he said.

"OK, nvm." I chuckled.

"You're an idiot." he chuckled and shook his head.

We reached our destination in around 10 minutes.

I kicked off my shoes as soon as we walked into his apartment.

"I actually have something for you." he informed me and then disappeared into his bedroom.

I followed him slightly worried and popped my head through the bedroom door. "I don't wanna have sex just yet." I admitted.

He turned around quickly and blushed. "What? No, that's not what I meant." he said embarrassed.

He walked up to me with a little box and gave it to me. "Why are you giving me this?" I asked surprised and he shrugged. "I just want to start this year with you with something nice." he said.

I opened the box and saw the Paul Valentine watch in it.

"That is expensive and you shouldn't give your partner a watch, it shortens the relationship." I stated and looked at him.

"Money is not an issue when it comes to you and I was kinda hoping that superstitions won't be either." he said.

"I'm not superstitious." I snorted.

"I know what they say about giving watches but I wanted to go against that. This watch won't shorten our relationship, I'm just hoping it will measure our time together until one of us dies." he said.

"This watch will stop working someday, you know." I chuckled.

"And then we'll fix it. We'll fix anything that will need to be fixed in our relationship so our time together never ends. Every second with you is precious to me and I don't wanna waste it with stupid fights or anything." he shrugged.