My Uncle From the Sky

Start from the beginning

There had been important days that had passed for him in those years since; days that would continue to be the most important ones of his life; college graduation, his wedding day, the days his children were born. Just like on those days, his senses took in everything: The wisps of smoke blending into the dark; The feel of the ground underneath his shoes as he ran; The toad jumping from the pathway to avoid an early demise; The swarm of gnats he momentarily broke through; the firefly he whizzed past as it blinked the glow of an old-time neon sign. And then, the edges of the stark grey forms ahead becoming imbued with evidence of color as he came closer, catching the ambient sky. Red. Blue. Silver.

"Optimus."

The name had not left his mind or his lips for a day since its bearer had shepherded his comrades back on their way home. How many times had he looked in that quadrant of the sky with his telescope, wondering. How many stories had he told; been almost forced to tell? How many late night discussions with the woman of his dreams? How many times had he carefully related details to his young children in answers to their questions after seeing the picture on the wall and the album of newspaper clippings? The sensation of being able to say that name to its owner, present here for its recitation, was something he had coveted for a long time now, and it was a relief.

"Marty. It is good to see you, my friend."

"It's good to see you too, Optimus - it's great to see you!"

Then, the bright smile drifted from his face as it suddenly lost expression to the obvious question.

"What brings you back?", he said with an intent gaze, waiting with trepidation.

"Don't worry, Marty. Everything is fine."

"Oh...that's great!" he said with a sigh. "Glad to hear that. So... how've you been, it's, it's just so great to see you," he continued cheerfully, "I wondered about you so many times!"

While his speech was harried and excited, the words from the behemoth figure were restrained, yet somehow filled with the same energy.

"I've thought of you many times too, my friend. I wanted to come back, and check on you."

He smiled a sincere and delighted "Oh! I'm honored!"

The visitor reflected, "While I've never been one to pay casual visits, I only regret not coming back sooner. Logic bares that the years which passed since we parted would be much more impactful upon the human lifecycle than mine. However, the change you display takes me aback. You are now in appearance like the so-called adults we dealt with those years ago. I am positive that the intelligence and compassion you displayed then continues to be far above theirs. The honor is mine, Marty."

He felt his eyes water a bit as he replied "That means so much to me, Optimus. I'm no hero, but hopefully I've managed to hold my own ok. I've definitely faltered from time to time. Um, it's no piece of cake going from being a child to an adult - I mean to say - it's challenging. But I always tried to think back to you and the others and those times we had as an example, and to stay true to that spirit that I felt then as a little kid. You know, I have my own children now (or maybe they have me), and it's so true that they are able to display such wisdom at times. I really feel like I learn from them!"

"How meaningful it must be to experience parenthood. I felt that same wisdom from you in your youth, Marty. We all did. And long before human civilization existed, we also experienced the growing pains of navigating newfound knowledge, ability, and responsibility. To falter is to exist. However, the journey of those like myself had the benefit of many millennia as its ally. Your all-too-brief struggle to mature is more intense by many factors. I do not envy it."